Third Party Press

German WW1 warbooty picture!

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I'm sure everyone knows by now that I like cool pictures in my collection. Found this one a few weeks ago it was just listed as squad of German Imperial era soldiers with rifles for under $20. But if you take a closer look at it they were not armed with Gew 98 rifles or Gew 88 rifles but instead they were holding 1886 Lebel rifles! Over the years I have collected alot of pictures and have seen alot of cool pictures. I don't see many WW1 German War booty pictures.

Also posting some other cool pictures as well. One of the post card pictures has writing on the back if only I could read German better. But mainly these are some of my favorite German WW1 era pictures I have acquired over the years.

Attachments

• German Soldiers with Lebel rifles.jpeg
    German Soldiers with Lebel rifles.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Soldiers with Kar98a carbines.jpeg
    Soldiers with Kar98a carbines.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Soldier with Gew98 rifle.jpeg
    Soldier with Gew98 rifle.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Vorbeck.jpeg
    Vorbeck.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Mounted Soldier with Kar98a carbine.jpeg
    Mounted Soldier with Kar98a carbine.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Back of Postcard.jpeg
    Back of Postcard.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 102
The horse and trooper picture is the best!

Bavarian 1st or 2nd schweres Reiter Regiment

photo #1 Bavarian Infanterie Leib Regiment

What photo is the text from?

"Dear brother and sister in law,
Sending this photo .... blablabla"

nothing military related.

Bavarian 1st or 2nd schweres Reiter Regiment

photo #1 Bavarian Infanterie Leib Regiment

What photo is the text from?

"Dear brother and sister in law,
Sending this photo .... blablabla"

nothing military related.

The Calvary Soldier picture

I agree, mounted soldier is easily the coolest, looks like a mean SOB too! Has it all, sword, 98a and guidon... I think Jordan has a new avatar!

I agree, mounted soldier is easily the coolest, looks like a mean SOB too! Has it all, sword, 98a and guidon... I think Jordan has a new avatar!

Thanks Paul already done! And yes that one is one of my favorite pictures in my collection.

The Calvary Soldier picture

Thanks!
I'll try to translate it for you. It is more difficult than usual, because it is poor handwriting and seems bears some spelling mistakes.

Attached one of my favorites, when it comes to cavallery.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks!
I'll try to translate it for you. It is more difficult than usual, because it is poor handwriting and seems bears some spelling mistakes.

Attached one of my favorites, when it comes to cavallery.

I greatly appreciate that very much Wolfgang much thanks. I also found another cool picture of mine this is one of my favorite Kar98a pictures in my collection.

Attachments

• Soldier with Kar98a carbine.jpeg
    Soldier with Kar98a carbine.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Back of Postcard #2.jpeg
    Back of Postcard #2.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 21
.... I also found another cool picture of mine this is one of my favorite Kar98a pictures in my collection.

Again, nothing military related in the text.

Written: Donleÿ, April 13th, 1915 (typical for that time is the misspelling of the city. They usually wrote it down as it was pronounced. Does not make it very easy to find the correct place! ;-) )

I'm sending this photo in emory of ...
I'm healthy and doing well, hope the same for you.
Returned to my unit (battery).

His unit was the 3rd battery of Bavarian Landwehr Fussartillerie Batterie Nr.1. Part of the Bavarian 1st Landwehr Division.
Commander in chief: Oberleutnant der Reserve Weinberger.
In March - April 1915 they were near Donnelay/France. East of Nancy. Or south of Dieuze. Both fits.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...0xa82e1697b8881aed!8m2!3d48.751925!4d6.682081

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/1._Königlich_Bayerische_Landwehr-Division

Amazing Wolfgang was able to extract that much from that scribble, while it is a tribute to German society that literacy rates were very high (compared to most western states, England, France for sure, and almost certainly the US) through the second half of the 19th century, apparently penmanship was not taken very seriously...

Still, the unit, time and location add to the appeal, and value when and if Jordan parts with it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back