Third Party Press

S/42G

I was curious about that myself. Seems the S/42/K screws are marked and later S/42/G screws are marked. Yet there is a S/42/G e block in the reference section and Vol 1 (same rifle) where the screws are not marked. Why would they suddenly stop marking the screws only to start marking them again? Are both with the unmarked screws correct or both incorrect?

The one in Vol. 1 also only has the last two digits on the gas shield, whereas all others I could find have the full serial on them. Just to throw in another anomality.

The screws could be good, there are some oddities in G dates that makes trending them difficulties. Hell, the whole gun could be good.

It’s like thus. Your neighbor is Jeffery Dahmer. He brings you some homemade chili over. You ask your friends to give your opinion on it but tell them to leave out the fact it came from JD. You can’t dismiss the source and possibilities of restoration work to pretty it up to make it mint crisp. We’ve seen proof now that things go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a $6000 rifle even if perfect with no issues

Waffenmeister sent me these pics and asked me to post. For comparison his 3 digit c block S/42 G screws are unmarked, but his no letter block S/27 G are marked. The S/42 K in reference and book are also marked. I suppose they could have been replaced at some point or that is how they were done.

IMG_5954.JPGIMG_5953.JPGIMG_5952.JPGIMG_5951.JPGIMG_5950.JPGIMG_5949.JPGIMG_5948.JPGIMG_5947.JPG
IMG_5961.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here's one more from waffenmeister and his summary S/147G. I now know where all the early rifles are.

"This rifle is a double band spring type and it too has it’s matching number Wa/ed rod. It has been through a depot and the only thing that I can find that was done to it is stock numbers applied again."

IMG_5960.JPGIMG_5959.JPGIMG_5958.JPGIMG_5957.JPGIMG_5956.JPGIMG_5955.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S/42G for discussion

There are examples in 1935 Mauser production where the trigger housing screws are devoid of Waffenamnts.
Sometimes there is a small number stamped where the normal military inspection would go.

I have no issue with the front sight and the extractor has been overstamped but that could be a factory correction or it could have been replaced.

IMO the rifle was priced beyond retail but that's between the buyer and seller.

I will check my group of G-dated examples and follow up on the trigger housing screw inspection anomaly.

Images are from my 'e' block.

B.

Attachments

• DSC_0107[1].jpg
    DSC_0107[1].jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0108[1].jpg
    DSC_0108[1].jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
For what it is worth, I have S/42G number 2929g, all matching except bolt. Both the action screws and the lock screws have
the K167 inspection mark. Action screws are number matching.

Last edited:
It’s like thus. Your neighbor is Jeffery Dahmer. He brings you some homemade chili over. You ask your friends to give your opinion on it but tell them to leave out the fact it came from JD. You can’t dismiss the source and possibilities of restoration work to pretty it up to make it mint crisp. We’ve seen proof now that things go on.

This is one of the best analogies I've ever seen!

Thank you for more pictures. But I hate to say it this rifle is not even close to the MINT STUNNING CONDITION PREMIER GRADE it was sold as. If I paid $6500 for a rare K98k rifle I wouldn't want one with bluing and finish issues. I have noticed there is a lot of bluing gone around the trigger guard and bolt handle area. Not to mention seeing those marks in the bluing around the upper barrel band where someone tried to take it off. It is a very hard to find scarce K98k rifle but alot of money for the issues present.

I feel like the bluing on the bolt is vastly different to the bluing on the receiver bridge from Raven's pics. Could just be the flash but I see a difference. Deep blue vs. grey.
I hope you enjoy the rifle regardless of its flaws or better yet I hope you can get your money back if the flaws bother you, but maybe they don't. I know how it is to get burned on these things. Solidarity in learning together.

My opinions: the additional pics, particularly of the floorplate, indicate that part has been refinished. That part, the triggerguard, the bands, and bolt knob wear more than the other areas of a K98k. Again, the problem with internet pictures is that they can be deceiving as to what the color actually is, depending upon the light. I have been surprised, positively and negatively, after receiving something I bought based upon internet pics.

Last edited:
Nice rifle except for the obscene price that you paid that Pre98 filth for it.

Hahahahaha...”pre98 filth”?!?!? You absolute piece of human filth, constantly and consistently demeaning, and slandering a company, just because you can on a keyboard?!? Obscene price to who, you?!?! A poor, pitiful piece of forum scum, and unwilling to come out with your real name, so we all can know how pitiful you really are...watch the slander buddy!

Hahahahaha...”pre98 filth”?!?!? You absolute piece of human filth, constantly and consistently demeaning, and slandering a company, just because you can on a keyboard?!? Obscene price to who, you?!?! A poor, pitiful piece of forum scum, and unwilling to come out with your real name, so we all can know how pitiful you really are...watch the slander buddy!

WTF is this shite?

Post #1 sure is telling....

Respectfully, may we stay on topic as to the merits of the rifle?

Kindest Regards.

Unfortunate...you are asking 8, 98k forum members, who have no money and always willing to demean, defame and slander a company just because they can?! Do your self a favor, find a some respectable collectors with real knowledge vs., the bozo’s on this forum.

Military Rifle Journal
Back