Third Party Press

Mg42/m53 clone

Hood886

Figured someone here might appreciate the project I just finished. Technically it's a Yugo M53 but very close to a mg42. I built this one in 308. Started out as a chopped up parts kit. Only got one pic of it with the new finish on it. If anyone has any questions about it please ask.

Attachments

• 20190825_141657.jpg
    20190825_141657.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190804_174153.jpg
    20190804_174153.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190804_174135.jpg
    20190804_174135.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 105
Other than the brp-style grip stick it looks pretty original. Congratulations.
Now, does it work??????? Many rewelds I saw looked good but were not running right because most of the build plans are flat out crap with dimensions not only making no sense but significantly deviating between different build plans. When I read about charging handles popping out of the receiver when fully cocked my first reaction was "WTF?". Later, after studying build plans for my own reweld, it became clear what went wrong and why this wasn't necessarily the builders' fault alone. The classic "garbage in ---> garbage out" scenario.

Yeah works 100%. Was having some issues with it slam firing at first so I was getting a nice burst of full auto. Got that fixed. Have yet to have any other issues then that. Just had to tweak the length of the firing pin. Yeah I thought about modifying the original grip stick but decided it still wouldn't look correct and it would be a bunch of extra work for no real reason. I think people don't pay enough attention to correct length of parts and when they go to reweld it they don't account for material that was removed and don't account for weld shrinkage. Regardless I paid close attention to the specs and I think that's why I have had little to no issues.

Looks good to me, reminds me of the M53s stored in the Serb cantonment at Pale. They were part of the Sarajevo encirclement and after the DPA were stockpiled. Was part of the inspection team. Serbs had stored them 2 per crate, up to the ceiling and way back. Looking for a pic I had.

I would finish polishing the welds up then go get it cerikoted. That stuff is really good against wear, corrosion, and heat.

I would finish polishing the welds up then go get it cerikoted. That stuff is really good against wear, corrosion, and heat.

Haha all the welds I did are completely blended, the unfinished pics will show you where I welded. The only welds that are still visible are the welds from the factory and honestly it's just the angle I took the photo at. They aren't visible in person.

as a longtime builder, I never had the yen to do one of these. I did shoot one once though, while visiting relatives up north. it was a 8mm rebuild, yep he had problems with it. turned out he was a fellow guild member

I just saw a thread on ar-15 about a build in 308. that sucker runs like a zipper, since he is a SOT. Yesterday I saw a ad for 7.62x39mm conversion using existing belts, conversion kit comes with top plate, barrel, etc

nice build, yep cerakote will work, Im a traditionalist I would go original finish. recent threads on buying 308 are MEM or malaysian, unless you reload

good luck

Yeah I think the conversion kit to x39 would be really neat and cost effective but honestly with how much this thing weighs and the expensive cost of the conversion kit I doubt I'll shoot it enough to make it break even. 308 is cheap enough. Now if it could be full auto I'd be all over that conversion kit and would be buying up tons of x39.

I honestly think the x39 conversion would be well worth it for myself, as I tend to always haul my oddball guns (stens, Suomi, soon to be M53) to the range before I take my regular ARs or bolt guns.

..he was a fellow guild member

I thought the name looked familiar. That site had a ton of interesting builds and some amazing metalwork. This particular weapon had a lot of misinformation out there for sure.

It looks good. I built a copy of the BRP semi42 right after their atf approved design was released for sale. I used a demilled 42 dated 4 torch cut receiver and built it in 8mm. I had problems with it, most of which had to do with their firing pin design. They came out with what their website describes as a second pattern semi auto bolt that I bought and once fitted to my gun has run flawlessly.

I just finished putting this one together,

Haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet and have a 7.62 conversion ready for it also. I used BRP Semi components (denial block, bolt conversion and AR trigger housing block).

Attachments

• MG42 03.jpg
    MG42 03.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • MG42 06a.jpg
    MG42 06a.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 36
  • MG42 10.jpg
    MG42 10.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 35
  • MG42 12.jpg
    MG42 12.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 35
  • MG42 13.jpg
    MG42 13.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 33
The front end on yours looks a little funny to me, is that a standard m53 or did you change it to a mg3 front end?
Regardless good work! Where did you get your kit bc wow who ever demilled that looks like they gave you an easier reweld vs my diagonal cuts I had all over the place.

Not an MG3 or M53,

It was an original MG42, early saw cut kit. I appreciate the kind words.

Yes it looks like it was a really nice kit AND a great job putting it back. I'll guess you have 'some' welding experience? :laugh:

Military Rifle Journal
Back