Third Party Press

German modified Dutch carbine bayonet

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Finally found one of these. I’ve had the rifle bayonet and the mods match the drawing floating around. This one is exactly the same length, but the scabbard modification is different, but obvious to me a German mod. Look how they changed the frog to a more German style. Glad to add this one.

27da7bee91e9d291f49ec37bfdc82a5d.jpg

53ac40a8597a5b60b8c8bb340ff4ec7f.jpg

51f9d3e984c116610f92f93776684abc.jpg

03070dc48e31fe5fd8d4e3c4e0e0af97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! These are very, very tough to find. The rifle bayonets are not terribly difficult but the carbine bayos are scarce.

Most of these shortened scabbards are stitched at the bottom, but you see them with the finials every now and then. The belt loop has been shorted by the Germans but the strap looks original Dutch.

Awesome pickup, do you have a carbine to go with it?

How many people would have know clue what it actually was you have to wonder.

Looks a lot like a British Patt 88 with a different blade...

Thanks for the comments, you sold me this rifle Bayo and told me this would be tough to find Ryan!Yes, I have a No.4 carbine depot reworked (Mg10 Magdeburg). I was surprised I got this Bayo for as cheap as I did, about $100. It was an eBay special - seller said it was cut down during ww1 for use on a Mauser.

8a68fa502642dfaa11bca59fc626f2f6.jpg

4be4669ea6750b58974a8c406ba6c8dd.jpg

141f6a1cfc5810dc670092b5d41a5d56.jpg

What a cool set up. That's one of those bayonets you're going to either pay out the waz for, or sneak up on it cheap like you did. :thumbsup:

Maybe this is interesting for you:

Karabiner 414 (h) Karabiner 414 h.jpg

Seitengewehr 103 (h) Seitengewehr 103 h.jpg

Seitengewehr 104 (h) Seitengewehr 104 h.jpg

Regards,
Stephan

Awesome Stephan! You can even see the brass finial in the photos. Yes, original 6.5 caliber. I have a box of original 44 dated steel case German ammo for it.

Awesome Stephan! You can even see the brass finial in the photos.

The short bayonet and scabbard from D50/1 Stephan posted is actually a Dutch No1 New Model bayonet. It has the same pommel as the Old Model, but has a double edged knife blade instead of the T-back style. You can tell yours was an old artillery model scabbard because the modified belt loop, with two steel German rivets instead of three Dutch copper ones, and the low strap which appears to be the original Dutch one.

Also, your carbine is not a No4, but actually a No3 New Model the Germans modified to the No1 New Model standard. Can't imagine why they would do such an insane thing but they did! :googlie

Nice ones Mike, congrats on finding the carbine bayonet especially. :thumbsup:

Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back