Third Party Press

Turd Alerts

Wow seems so many "turds" out there to be called out that there could be a separate forum just dedicated to "bubba jobs" and false claims!

Someone is already getting hosed.

"To the best of our knowledge, it appears that the numbers on this gun don't appear to have been messed with" :laugh: Dude is going to wish he'd found this site. That bolt job is really not very good.

Attachments

• bcd zf turd.JPG
    bcd zf turd.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 72
  • bcd zf turd carnival barking.JPG
    bcd zf turd carnival barking.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 62
  • pix206326621.jpg
    pix206326621.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 61
  • pix995851384.jpg
    pix995851384.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
..Is this fake because the striker piece is not numbered and the safety should have four digits instead of two?

In photo #1, post 22 the only original numbers in that picture are on the ejector box and screw. Several ways to tell actually (this isn't a really good fake) but if you look in the scallop of the safety you can really see where they moved the metal around.

Fake DOU 45

This is such a hilariously bad turd that I'll just let the photos speak for themselves. Compared to many other collectors on here, I'm very new to this hobby, and yet even I could spot this from tens of miles away. No, I showed this to a friend of mine, who knows NOTHING about K98s whatsoever, and even he could spot this! I'm not sure about the rest of the gun however.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888410645

MODEDIT: Screenshot of awkshun. Link will be dead in about 60 days. Thanks for posting this Sat.

ad.JPG

Attachments

• pix046631838.jpg
    pix046631838.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 99
  • pix224353362.jpg
    pix224353362.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 98
  • pix471533563.jpg
    pix471533563.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 105
  • pix593889555.jpg
    pix593889555.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
Sure would be helpful if posters here could point out turd characteristics of the pics, to help us new folk, rather than just :facepalm: :googlie :laugh:

Sure would be helpful if posters here could point out turd characteristics of the pics, to help us new folk, rather than just :facepalm: :googlie :laugh:

Well Sal, The dou 45 for instance has the old original mismatched part numbers crudely ground off and then replaced with fake matching numbers and to top it off they didn't even bother to slap some cold blue on the ground off areas. It's funny because even a blind man could see this.
:laugh::facepalm::googlie

Last edited:
Your question comes up from time to time. For me there are a few problems with it though. When you look through these we DO talk about issues. It sounds like you're asking for a detailed breakdown of EXACTLY how the fraudster slipped up. I'm increasingly leery to do so because I'm 100% certain those same shitbags are lurkers here for that exact reason. "My last fake got sniffed out so if you'd be so kind please tell me EXACTLY how to make my next creation better able to defraud people" Seriously

To start with, the original serial numbers have been ground off and re stamped. This is only done with mismatched guns that someone wishes to present as matching. There were legitimate rebuild programs that did renumber parts and assemblies (East German, among others), but the original serial numbers were not obliterated, generally speaking, though they may have been Xed or lined out and new serial numbers applied.

Doubling down on my comments above when computers became really prevalent in automobiles and tuning couldn't be accomplished without such knowledge criminals infiltrated these boards trying to con/bribe guys into teaching them to defeat immo. They were neither enthusiasts or even cared about the hobby. It was all about the larcency.

And it happened often. New guy pops up and 3rd post in is asking "can someone help me do an immo defeat"

Doubling down on my comments above when computers became really prevalent in automobiles and tuning couldn't be accomplished without such knowledge criminals infiltrated these boards trying to con/bribe guys into teaching them to defeat immo. They were neither enthusiasts or even cared about the hobby. It was all about the larcency.

And it happened often. New guy pops up and 3rd post in is asking "can someone help me do an immo defeat"

Such is the nature of the internet, I suppose. And I understand your cynicism, it's not unwarranted. But for what it's worth I'm just a regular dude who started a WWII rifle collection a while ago and the K98 is next on my list. CMP M1 was first, then found a really neat US Lend Lease Lee Enfield, and then the ubiquitous Mosin. So I'm just here to soak up some book-learnin' from you knowledgeable die hards before I make a purchase, and I'm glad I found you because clearly I don't have a trained eye.

Maybe someone else's turd is a perfectly acceptable wall display/shooter that I'm looking for, but that's all I'm trying to figure out.

It's cool Sal. I don't know you so I'll make no judgements about your motives but I stand by my comments that it would be near incomprehensible that this site is not constantly being probed by nefarious sorts. When money is involved lot's of people lose any bit of principles they might have had. If someone will kill another over $20 making 10 large on a really good fake incentivizes this behavior.

Maybe someone else's turd is a perfectly acceptable wall display/shooter that I'm looking for, but that's all I'm trying to figure out.

Maybe not even a 'turd'. This should be much easier to find here than that perfect all matching example. Guys have lot's of placeholders that they may not be that attached to or have recently upgraded.

Check out the picture section to get an idea of what floats your boat. Huge differences between pre, mid and late war rifles.

Such is the nature of the internet, I suppose. And I understand your cynicism, it's not unwarranted. But for what it's worth I'm just a regular dude who started a WWII rifle collection a while ago and the K98 is next on my list. CMP M1 was first, then found a really neat US Lend Lease Lee Enfield, and then the ubiquitous Mosin. So I'm just here to soak up some book-learnin' from you knowledgeable die hards before I make a purchase, and I'm glad I found you because clearly I don't have a trained eye.

How much did you pay for your Lend Lease if you don't mind me asking? If you're more comfortable dming me that's cool too. I'm in the market to buy one and wanted to know what's a fair price to pay.

I typically see run of the mill Lee-Enfields in the $5-600 range.

Alarm bells? That thing is a poster child for Bubba's kidz.
Throw the challenge flag

Attachments

• 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 23

Military Rifle Journal
Back