Third Party Press

G43 ac43

Here are a couple pictures in natural light. Hopefully the color/condition of the stock is a little clearer.

Attachments

• 69700026_414556182507768_6998983932813246464_n.jpg
    69700026_414556182507768_6998983932813246464_n.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 69460159_655713774913254_6486865514340548608_n.jpg
    69460159_655713774913254_6486865514340548608_n.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 50
Tiger mentioned that he thought it look recently stained. I've seen variation in colors between some G43 stocks and not sure what is correct for this particular rifle.

flynaked, bummed to hear that...is it the lack of dings and scrapes on the stock that lead you to believe that? I would have figured that the cartouches would be a little more faint if that were the case. Then again, I'm not the expert.

The thing about wood is that it is easy to manipulate as it’s not like steel, so it’s not as hard to mess with. The proof stamps can easily be put back on with a set of stamps, or sanded/steel wooled around them. For me, on this rifle, the wood color does not look right (too “splotchy”-dark here, lighter there) and, I guess the best way to describe it is that the “sheen” of the wood doesn’t look right for me. Earlier stocks have a different look to them than this. The stock serial number on the keel of the rifle will also tell a lot as you will be able to see whether or not there’s real depth to the numbers or not (starting wide and going down more narrower). Also, check the stock wrist proof and the stock keel proof that is supposed to be behind the serial number.

I think the rifle is between shooter status and collector status. Only reason I say collector status is because it is an ac43, more than likely matching as more detailed photos are needed to confirm what is going on with the bolt carrier numbers and e/359 proof stamp (need to see the mill marks and without the white paint).

There’s a lot to check on these as some of these are coming with huge price tags.

Last edited:
Much appreciated, some very good eyes and knowledgeable people here! I was actually able to track down the owner before the current seller. He said before he owned the rifle, the stock was at some point lightly sanded and quite possibly stained. However the stock is original and all the markings are correct.

Is it a mark of death? I wouldn’t think so. Shame it was done, but seems to be tasteful done at least.

Well, it’s now up to you to decide what you want in your collection. The stock looks like it belongs on this gun. But, it has been sanded and stained a little as you found out. I will add that you will look a long time before coming across another G.43 ac43. One that is totally correct will command a lot of money.

For top collector dollar it is the mark of death, this rifle would have sold long ago if it weren’t sanded. It only takes a split second look to know it’s been done to a rifle after you look at enough untouched German rifles. Beech wood that has sat this long takes on a specific surface oxidation look, once it’s removed there is no putting it back, we can try (in a restorative sense) but you can always tell the difference. Farb has said it best in my opinion when describing original stock condition, “you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube.” Perfect analogy for those rifles which are now irreversibly altered. Some collectors don’t care one way or the other, but for many, seeing a stock that is messed with is an instant turn off. There are many indications of a sanded stock, really way too many to get into, and they vary by the rifle’s original finish, the amount of wear and handling, natural aging, and storage conditions.

I agree to that stock condition says alot about a rifle to collectors and a heavily sanded stock is one of the worst possible things to happen to a nice rifle. Some collectors will pass up on a nice rifle just becasue it has initials in the wood or it has been duffle cut. To me if the rest of the rifle is nice and the stock has not been messed with those other factors don't really bother me it tells a story. Even better if the duffle cut is hidden.

Unfortunately a sanded stock is the kiss of the death to collectors in the G/K43 community. It just really is hard to find a nice all matching G/K43 without problems. And I would say 90% of the G/K43 rifles out there has stock issues.

I agree to that stock condition says alot about a rifle to collectors and a heavily sanded stock is one of the worst possible things to happen to a nice rifle. Some collectors will pass up on a nice rifle just becasue it has initials in the wood or it has been duffle cut. To me if the rest of the rifle is nice and the stock has not been messed with those other factors don't really bother me it tells a story. Even better if the duffle cut is hidden.

Unfortunately a sanded stock is the kiss of the death to collectors in the G/K43 community. It just really is hard to find a nice all matching G/K43 without problems. And I would say 90% of the G/K43 rifles out there has stock issues.

I need to look at my serial number listings (when I have a whole bunch of time) and go through all three manufacturers and see; 1) How many rifles I have listed, and 2) How many are in original condition vs. “jacked up”. There would be a third category that would be just the recorded rifles that don’t have complete descriptions. It would be neat to see how many are still in original condition vs. “jacked with” condition. There’s a lot I can do with these listings. But, it’s tedious work and time consuming.

I need to look at my serial number listings (when I have a whole bunch of time) and go through all three manufacturers and see; 1) How many rifles I have listed, and 2) How many are in original condition vs. “jacked up”. There would be a third category that would be just the recorded rifles that don’t have complete descriptions. It would be neat to see how many are still in original condition vs. “jacked with” condition. There’s a lot I can do with these listings. But, it’s tedious work and time consuming.

I would be interested to see what your findings are Tiger. By the way a good friend of mine just sold a Panel cut G/K43 ac43 I believe a few months ago. That rifle was nice and untouched too. He offered it to another friend out of Kentucky for like $3700 he took a pass on it. He said alright and put it on his table for like $4800. A gentleman walked by about 20 minutes later and bought the rifle.

I would be interested to see what your findings are Tiger. By the way a good friend of mine just sold a Panel cut G/K43 ac43 I believe a few months ago. That rifle was nice and untouched too. He offered it to another friend out of Kentucky for like $3700 he took a pass on it. He said alright and put it on his table for like $4800. A gentleman walked by about 20 minutes later and bought the rifle.

Untouched ones will absolutely sell very quickly. It’s truly a seller’s market for totally correct ones. Neat story too! Wish I had the numbers for my listings. Good ones like that rarely leave collector’s circles though, and sometimes one escapes out to be had by a different collector circle.

I was having a hard time thinking what a G.43 ac43 would go for untouched. Well, we know at least $4,800.00 it sounds like. I was thinking a little higher though.

Last edited:
Untouched ones will absolutely sell very quickly. It’s truly a seller’s market for totally correct ones. Neat story too! Wish I had the numbers for my listings. Good ones like that rarely leave collector’s circles though, and sometimes one escapes out to be had by a different collector circle.

I was having a hard time thinking what a G.43 ac43 would go for untouched. Well, we know at least $4,800.00 it sounds like. I was thinking a little higher though.

The fellow who bought it probably thought $4800 was a good price for a top collector grade G43 ac43.

I would certainly place a premium on an AC43, it is not an easy code to source and at the end of the day there is a big difference in the price I would like to pay and what I will actually pay. Without great luck, the days of complete MM Shooters for $1500 is truly gone. Even all the parts off a rifle can fetch 2-3k easily.

Good example was this weekends gun show. Gentlemen came in trying to sell a sporterized SMLE and a refurbished G24t (in VZ24 trim). The last potential buyer wouldn’t even offer him a dollar on the SMLE and only $250 on the VZ. I was thinking on a price when he pulled out an 1866 dated Factory Engraved Colt M1849. The grips had been replaced but still a very nice gun. The seller quickly said “would all three of my pieces be worth $700? I like your Bushmaster on the table”. The deal was quickly made and the VZ fetched $700 by the end of Show, which covered my own loss on the trade.

Long story short, deals are still to be had but people will pay good money for a scarce/rare variation of a rifle even if not 100% correct as seen in the VZ (G24t) sale.

Attachments

• 81C2744C-47E9-4BCA-99AA-6B7F3782415D.jpg
    81C2744C-47E9-4BCA-99AA-6B7F3782415D.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DA5DC64B-9CF6-4253-9547-BDAB8F8AD7AD.jpg
    DA5DC64B-9CF6-4253-9547-BDAB8F8AD7AD.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 9AD0B854-A4BB-4D86-9F44-9A0261475AAD.jpg
    9AD0B854-A4BB-4D86-9F44-9A0261475AAD.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 14
Prices are all over the map and always have been on the G/K43. People seem to find nice closet finds for as little as $1500 where at the same time people pay up to $3500 for MM shooters.

I think a matching rifle can realistically fetch $3-6k depending on code, sanding,
condition etc.

Most in my collection I paid ~$2.5-3.5k

I still regret not purchasing one on the old g43 forum for $4k - attic find in bring back box with capture papers and packing wood chips etc. I simply didn’t have the cash at the time.

Military Rifle Journal
Back