Third Party Press

Is this sling German?

Hercules

Looks like it to me, but it’s different. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 79AC1256-5CCC-4B8F-89AF-24C64C30F0AF.jpg
    79AC1256-5CCC-4B8F-89AF-24C64C30F0AF.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 7E6A4D0A-269A-4006-919C-2ABD51EA5D4E.jpg
    7E6A4D0A-269A-4006-919C-2ABD51EA5D4E.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 105
  • FBAFE06F-96E5-4E17-9727-58CB29FFF0AC.jpg
    FBAFE06F-96E5-4E17-9727-58CB29FFF0AC.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 98
Not an SS sling. I’m not sure where that wives tale came from about black slings being SS. I think these are late war Czech made 98k slings, but could easily be post war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the 2 hole slings are mp40 slings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had heard the black slings were post-WW2 Austrian. Had a black sling thong some years ago. I have nothing to back this up, other than this being mentioned back in the '80s from talking with other collectors...

OK another sling question. I used to know this, but what are the slings used for that have two holes instead of three and are slightly longer than the standard 98K sling?

These are Austrian, generally for the Stg.58. Many are stamped "Stolla Wien" with an ink stamp with the last two digits of the date, invariably in the 60s. I see many of these being cut down, another hole added, some with humped up stamps, sold as original K98k slings for $150 or so. "Cheaper than Dirt" was selling these awhile back for $9. I buy them when cheap and use them on my shooter K98ks with a frosch as they are great quality, better than any repro leather. The original WW2 issue K98k sling is three holes and about 47". The original WW2 issue MP.40 sling is two holes and about 47". The slings you reference are about 50" + and two hole for a button stud. In period pics you can see K98k slings, with the frosch, in use on MP.40s, and I've had original vet bringback K98ks with MP.40 slings on them and the K98k frosch.

Couple of years ago I helped a (former) friend out after a nasty car accident, by buying a number of miscellaneous bayonets, etc. since he needed money for car repairs. I bought six of the Austrian STG slings... four in original pattern and two having been modified to Kar98k length. He had scooped about 80 slings when Northridge Distributors had a batch for sale. The modified ones were offered for purchase at the few collector shows he attended, but always priced reasonably. I cannot recall if he had the thongs made up or bought them as is. Note they are well made, but a bit longer than originals. In any event, since he kept only a few slings himself, I received his steel template which was used to trim the sling length back and add the thong button slots. BTW, he did excellent work with this, and the slots looked perfect (using a chisel to cut the slot gave the leather that original "punched-out with a cutter" look)...

Attachments

• STG57Sling1.JPG
    STG57Sling1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
  • STG57RepThong.JPG
    STG57RepThong.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 27
  • SteelTemplate.JPG
    SteelTemplate.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Black sling

I am going against the grain here.
IMO, these are late war variant slings with the phosphated sling lock.

Have purchased several rifles over the last 30 years with these slings mounted.

Length on all of them have been standard K98k sling length and not STG58 extended length.

Would welcome further discussion here.

B.

STG58 slings only have two holes in them, not three, for obvious reasons:

P1120905_zps126e5214.jpg

Black Three Hole Sling

I am going against the grain here.
IMO, these are late war variant slings with the phosphated sling lock.

Have purchased several rifles over the last 30 years with these slings mounted.

Length on all of them have been standard K98k sling length and not STG58 extended length.

Would welcome further discussion here.

B.

OK. Thanks. This is the only black sling I have. It is the standard length, phosphate sling lock, and has the three standard sling holes. Maybe it is late war German then.

Military Rifle Journal
Back