20190905_182716.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190905_182750.jpg
    20190905_182750.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190905_182939.jpg
    20190905_182939.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 84
43asw means, it was made in 1943, asw is the German 3 letter code for Horster ( the maker of this bayonet). 5914 is the serial number and the tt under that is the block number ( production run ). The eagle/WaA 519 on the pommel is an acceptance stamp by the German military.

corectly deciphered anyway the condition is bad, sharpened blade and heavy cleaned. b.r.Andy

corectly deciphered anyway the condition is bad, sharpened blade and heavy cleaned. b.r.Andy
I didn`t say anything about the condition, I knew you would do that Andy. I only hope the OP didn`t pay too much for it.

In future better save money for untouched pieces, as this is very low value, after grinding and remove of old finish. b.r.Andy

Bayonet Question

Hoping you can enlighten me a bit on the wooden handled K98 Bayonet vs the Bakelite handled versions that seems to be quite common.
I am assuming that the Wood version is an earlier manufacture would this be correct? What years did they span? I have gathered some information on production but it’s not specific to the handles on the Bayonet.

I have a .22 cal bring back rifle that only the action has survived to date. I would like to restore this rifle which is appearing to be a larger task than anticipated. The band spring, barrel band and other items are long since gone. I would assume that this rifle is early war and as such match what I am also assuming would be a wooden handled bayonet. I do know many of them did not originally have a lug for the bayonet but will assume this did.

At the risk of irritating the group I did purchase a Mitchell's rifle as a shooter and an example of a production rifle for a combined display of the rifles and a functional shooter. Don’t worry I was aware of the reputation of Mitchel’s and did not pay exzorbanet prices in fact I paid less than what the vendor purchased it for 12 years ago.

/r

Doug

Already various answers here, You should look in forum, wood grips were used since 1927 prior to 1937/8, it depends on maker, some started with using of bakelit grips earlier, in period 1938-41 were mostly used only bakelit, only few wood grips were encountered, since 1942 were used wood grips too, by some firms like 44 agv/pyy or 43/44 jwh only wood. By large producers both materials, since 43 date are the bakelit more redish color. b.r.Andy

Bayonet pick up Gun Broker, FL Pawn shop

Hello

I recently picked this up off of Gun Broker, need some help verifying if it real or fake, thoughts? Picture are included.

any help is appreciated....

/r

Attachments

• Bayonet1.jpg
    Bayonet1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Bayonet2.jpg
    Bayonet2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Bayonet3.jpg
    Bayonet3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Bayonet4.jpg
    Bayonet4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Bayonet5.jpg
    Bayonet5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Bayonet6.jpg
    Bayonet6.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 20
Bayonet is in decent shape, its very late 42fnj, t is the highest reported range, possible it was finished in january 1943, the wood grips are correct in this range, i believe the serialing of inner parts was already by Alcoso simplified so probably no serials on inner part of grips, the light color of wood speaks for long time deponing of the bayonet out of sunlight. b.r.Andy
PS rust area of flashguard correspond with dark area of left grip,so certainly there for long time, same as the locking nut is matching with assembly number.

Military Rifle Journal
Back