Third Party Press

My two K98ks and what will be my third one..

Dazitt

I don't have any war experience but I am interested in the story of these rifles.
Maybe I will collect more K98ks some future.

CCDD622F-FD00-4D0D-8759-80D522E66687.jpg

Left one was already posted here before.
S/147 1937, Norwegian conversion, I believe it barely used, sold to British for civil use after its duty, came to Japan, deactivated.

Right one is that I asked here about Jeem mark.
Czech made 1944, sold to Iraq, maybe unissued, disposed after Iran-Iraqi war, sold to British for civil use, came to Japan, deactivated.

I wish I had some nice original bring backs or RCs.
However recently I saw a beautiful K98a in stock at the shop.

DB9E1788-9855-4189-BB6F-791DAFAB8E13.jpg

It will cost about 7,000USD. I should work much harder to buy it..
Will you buy this K98a at this price if you were me?

Last edited:
I don't knw where you are at, but did I read that right, $7,000 USD for a Kar 98a???

Unless I won the Power Ball Mega Jackpot, there is no way in hell I'd pay $7,000 for a 98a!

But thats why I am curious as to where you are....

I don't knw where you are at, but did I read that right, $7,000 USD for a Kar 98a???

Unless I won the Power Ball Mega Jackpot, there is no way in hell I'd pay $7,000 for a 98a!

But thats why I am curious as to where you are....

Oh I have to mention that I am in Japan.
Everything related with guns are expensive here, and also have to deactivated for legal use.

27C61981-7FEB-401A-A322-0BF04A5CF4B1.jpg
Price of used AR15 magazine is 160USD at the same shop. So then you can guess the others!
However you are right, I can't accept that price too..

Oh I have to mention that I am in Japan.
Everything related with guns are expensive here, and also have to deactivated for legal use.

View attachment 215525
Price of used AR15 magazine is 160USD at the same shop. So then you can guess the others!
However you are right, I can't accept that price too..

OK, well, that explains a lot! I know you have some crazy restrictions over there...but it did give us some extremely nice Shoei replica's, I have both the MP-44, and the FG-42 2nd type Shoei's….:thumbsup::biggrin1:

I remember reading how a troop on a Helo (don't remember whether it was a Japanese Defense Force guy, or one of ours) dropped a belt of live M60 ammo off the helo, and the gov't went nuts and closed the entire area down until they found it...

Here, I have belts of live MG ammo for decoration!

OK, well, that explains a lot! I know you have some crazy restrictions over there...but it did give us some extremely nice Shoei replica's, I have both the MP-44, and the FG-42 2nd type Shoei's….:thumbsup::biggrin1:

I remember reading how a troop on a Helo (don't remember whether it was a Japanese Defense Force guy, or one of ours) dropped a belt of live M60 ammo off the helo, and the gov't went nuts and closed the entire area down until they found it...

Here, I have belts of live MG ammo for decoration!

Lol you heard right. In the case of live ammo, that would be treated as serious situation in here.
I have many 8mm Mauser ammo but only sad inert dummies..
Someday I will visit Vegas to shot some historical rifles!
I agree with Shoei's, they have some deactivated rare rifle samples to make those replica. MP44, G43, ...
Thank you for understanding ^^

Left one was already posted here before.
Steyr 1937, Norwegian conversion, I believe it barely used, sold to British for civil use after its duty, came to Japan, deactivated.

I've never seen a Steyr dated 1937. Could you possibly let me know what you really have?

Welcome Dazitt, good to have you here and sharing information about collecting in Japan. We do not realize how good we have it here. In most states in the US it is easier for us to buy a live fully automatic MP.40 or MG.34 than it is for collectors in other countries to buy a live K98k. $7,000 here would get you a live, fully auto Sten gun.

Welcome to the forum!

What is the Japanese collecting experience like? Are de-activated Mausers more expensive/desirable than other de-activated guns? Is there a collector community?

Welcome Dazitt, good to have you here and sharing information about collecting in Japan. We do not realize how good we have it here. In most states in the US it is easier for us to buy a live fully automatic MP.40 or MG.34 than it is for collectors in other countries to buy a live K98k. $7,000 here would get you a live, fully auto Sten gun.

Definitely US is the great place to own and collect gun items. I always get surprised by some photos here with a bunch of rifles. And wow, even full automatic..
I have already paid approx 10,000USD for those 2 k98ks and 2 bayonets, but I am also aware of it could buy much valuable guns in US. (maybe 8-9 K98ks in collector grade?)
Well you just have saved my $7,000, thank you! Here are some more crazy people like me just buy at these ridiculous price. Maybe he will buy the K98a^^

Welcome to the forum!

What is the Japanese collecting experience like? Are de-activated Mausers more expensive/desirable than other de-activated guns? Is there a collector community?

I like to collect Mausers only, but people tend to have items made from US or other major powers.
WW1-2 US firearms and AR15 series are being sold at unbelievable price.
Not all Mausers, but original German Mausers like K98k is very famous and expensive though^^.
Many military communities for reenactment, airsoft, blank firing replica are common. Mostly collect replica rather than deactivated guns.

Military Rifle Journal
Back