Third Party Press

SS Marked S/27

Brandon

Hello,

I beleive I have discovered an SS Re-Worked ERMA rifle and I thought I would get some opinions on it.

Thanks!
Brandon
d76019aecbf166174f7810b36a45037b.jpg
ce8e265f5c2c18676ffcd1d2140cc2de.jpg
786f7641ab8f488063ddd5fcb1c8f2e1.jpg
a5cb4c3c1f38b4341550c6d54cd13928.jpg
9985244c3da12f1fea729050329663b1.jpg
597681a5b7accb62a224ecdab61ff54c.jpg
f31bb83a5ce72a24bf2ab67bd9e2b25f.jpg
aed46ea50de2636bdf1bffa33f250130.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I think so as well I would like to see some closer pictures of the bolt numbers though if you're able but it does look like it has a lot of promise.

What are they asking for it by the way?

Unfortunatly I missed out on the rifle! I couldn't see any marks on the stock though

I’ll disagree, bolt is fake even from these photos. I suspect floorplate is fake too, better pics would confirm. I’d bet the whole rifle is built from a legit bbl added to the receiver, or a Russian capture rebuilt. It would take much better photos to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll disagree, bolt is fake even from these photos. I suspect floorplate is fake too, better pics would confirm. I’d bet the whole rifle is built from a legit bbl added to the receiver, or a Russian capture rebuilt. It would take much better photos to be sure.

Can you prove that the SS didn't do it Mr. Bookman?

Let me elaborate. The font on the bolt is wrong, and the gas shield shouldn't have 4 digits. It also just "looks" wrong, something you get from seeing a lot of these as I have. The number on the floorplate looks wrong as well, but further than that the electro-etch used was very fragile, when an original gets some patina the number can totally disappear. If an original had that much patina on the floorplate that number would be gone, yet it is very bold. This barreled receiver is a possible combination, but it's odd that the Erma firing proof seems to be ground, but there is a serial number (which is not typical of other SSZZA4 reworked rifles). Most likely it was removed when it was reworked, but the serial added to the receiver is typical of those added upon importation into the US. If it was done at rework, the font would match the barrel. Also, bands should only have 2 digits, and they are also the wrong font.

These reworked SSZZA4 rifles are not common, but follow patterns. Attached is an S/147 reworked RC. Note - serial ground on receiver, but firing proof left intact. Other reworked VZ24 rifles have the same treatment - the only SSZZA4 rifles that retain the original serial are the first reworks from existing rifles, but those do not have a barrel serial number.

There, now the faker can fix the issues with it before it reappears, or the next one. But he better be good, I have tricks up my sleeve to detect them.

Attachments

• bbl.jpg
    bbl.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 139
  • rec.jpg
    rec.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 128
  • rec1.jpg
    rec1.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 123
Hello,

They were asking 2k.

Thank you guys for all your insight, I really need to get more Active on this forum!

I guess I'm glad I missed out on it now

..They were asking 2k.

Of course they were. Someone put a lot of work into that. On a more serious note I wonder how many are actively faking higher end rifles? It seems very common but most are of such poor quality or have such glaring inconsistencies that they fail to fool many but I also think some of the better operators are getting better at it.

I guess I'm glad I missed out on it now

It's said here quite often the Nazi items and SS or TK in particular are a minefield. It's also been said that many or most of what you see is fake. I don't know for sure but I do know caution is needed.

For a 2k rifle, I would expect a lot better, clearer more detailed photos. I think they are using the flash and glare to cover the issues here. Nice try though, when I first glanced at the rifle on the phone I thought it had a really good chance.

Sorry I’m a bit late seeing this... but yup, it was mine up until a couple years ago. I had talked to mike about this one years ago when I got it out of Texas and concluded then that the barrel was good, receiver was in question and the rest was some kind of restoration.
It wasn’t a bad restoration until you look close and compare to known good ones.

Unfortunately better ones just don’t exist in Canada.

Thanks Slowburn, I hate that people fake these for the money. I have collected K98s for a while, but having no experience with SS contract rifles I had no clue it was faked/no correct.

I’d guess I sold it about three years ago with full disclosure.

I kind of expected it to turn up again one of these days for sale without being honestly represented.

I’d guess I sold it about three years ago with full disclosure.

I kind of expected it to turn up again one of these days for sale without being honestly represented.

It's happened before to people on this site. Sold honestly and then returned something else. Recently a 'barreled action' returned for sale as 'all matching'. Thinking he might have even thrown 'bringback' in there but not positive. It sucks but other than calling them out when found I'm not sure there's any way to stop it?

My ss rework

Thanks for using my rifle as an example mr.farb! Those pics are of my
Rc ss rework. I feel privileged now lol!👍

Thanks for using my rifle as an example mr.farb! Those pics are of my
Rc ss rework. I feel privileged now lol![emoji106]

You have a real one, you can be proud! I saved these pics long ago, it’s an important example.

Military Rifle Journal
Back