Third Party Press

Help purchasing first k98!

bshmail24

Hello! I am looking to purchase my first K98 and i am super excited. I have been doing an immense amount of research, and what i have concluded is that there is simply too much information for me to make a educated purchase without feeling like im getting scammed. I know i may get flamed for this but i def want a all matching WWII german made riflle and am willing to pay if its a good deal. That being said, could anyone direct me on where to find one? Ive been hounding gunbroker and other auction sites but was hoping to get some expert advice from yall. I am fairly new to firearms but have been a WWII fan since i was a kid, hoping to find me a rifle i can keep for life! Thank you guys so much! Any input is very appreciated.

First of all welcome! You managed to find the ultimate K98 group, so you’re off to a good start.

You also have clearly found out that there are difficulties in finding legitimate K98 rifles. Also true, and unfortunate. That said, THE BEST place to buy a good honest rifle is the “Trader” section here in this very forum!! People post all sorts of rifles there all the time, and it’s very hard for a faked rifle to last long on there as everyone scrutinizes them and fakes get sniffed out pretty fast. The prices are often very good on there also. That’s your best bet. Lots of good guns in all price ranges all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to make 2 posts in order to see the trader section. The books available from this site on K98’s are excellent and well worth the purchase. If you can find a collector in your area that has K98’s and allows you to look at his rifles also helps out a lot. Good luck!

When I got my first, I bought a RC K98. No X on it, dirty birds not peened out. It's a mixmaster, but wanted a shootable example of the Workhorse of the German Military.

Wow thank you guys so much. I’ll def looking in the trading section. If anyone Is in the Bay Area please let me know!

When I got my first, I bought a RC K98. No X on it, dirty birds not peened out. It's a mixmaster, but wanted a shootable example of the Workhorse of the German Military.

+1. Luckily I got steered off a MM and towards an RC similar to what you describe. I still have mine, use it hunting and target shooting and think it's still a handsome example, RC or not. The price of them has gotten out of hand IMHO over the last half decade or so. One can find a common bolt mismatch now that's near the higher end of what RCs bring on Gunbonker and at shows.

Military Rifle Journal
Back