Third Party Press

Need some assistance

I recently purchased a sporterized rifle from a guy who claimed it was a bringback by his marine grandfather. The rifle appears to me to be a WZ29 but my friend thinks its a polish 98az. Id like to ask a professional. Im going to try and attach as many photos as i can.

Attachments

• 15684358004867471152636835748301.jpg
    15684358004867471152636835748301.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 39
Welcome, it is 98a pattern, whatever that is called in the Polish convention, I think this would have “k98” on the receiver side rail but I’m not positive? It is a small ring action with the handguard retaining lip on it, as well as a far different trigger guard. If you take this trigger guard off and try and install it on a standard large ring action, you will find the trigger geometry all wrong, you’ll have to pull the trigger back to even slide the trigger guard on.

Welcome, it is 98a pattern, whatever that is called in the Polish convention, I think this would have “k98” on the receiver side rail but I’m not positive? It is a small ring action with the handguard retaining lip on it, as well as a far different trigger guard. If you take this trigger guard off and try and install it on a standard large ring action, you will find the trigger geometry all wrong, you’ll have to pull the trigger back to even slide the trigger guard on.

So i need a 98a stock? Is there a major difference between the A and the AZ dimension wise? I tried bidding for a replacement stock on ebay and it got up to the four hundred dollar mark i just want to make sure i dont blow all my money on the wrong stock.

For all intensive purposes there is no such thing as a 98az, 99.5% of the references you will encounter to these are erroneous, these are all Kar98a, and that’s what all the parts labeled “az” are for. Just a heads up if you are set on restoring this one, likely your best bet would be to buy a complete other mismatch rifle as they can be bought for little more if not exactly what that stock sold for.

For all intensive purposes there is no such thing as a 98az, 99.5% of the references you will encounter to these are erroneous, these are all Kar98a, and that’s what all the parts labeled “az” are for. Just a heads up if you are set on restoring this one, likely your best bet would be to buy a complete other mismatch rifle as they can be bought for little more if not exactly what that stock sold for.
I learned from Volume I that az was the trials nomeclature which was then a when put into production for German rifles, but didn't realize the same applied for Polish. I assume that is the case?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back