Third Party Press

U-Boat issued??

selair_chapman

Howdy all
First time post from an Enfield fanboy...so forgive my ignorance on your lovely guns ;-P
Came across this little guy and all I know is that it appears to be a Kriegsmarine M marked late war K98 with U889 designation on the stock. Im just a dummy here but hillbilly logic might suggest a u-boat connection? U889 was surrendered to the Canadians at the end of the war. But yeah, that's all I know. There is an obvious but faded eagle stamp above the pronounced eagle over M on the buttstock. Bolt knob has been flattened and checkered on the stock-side (in closed position). Anyone have any knowledge about what I am looking at here? I have not been able to come across a similar eagle over M stamp anywhere...except from a site that manufactures new stamps. Maybe a tip-off there...
5.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Cheers

Guessing it is all made up post war. Hardly original. Droop eagles alone have no business on that rifle. I'd steer clear. It's origins are rougher than a night in a Turkish jail.

Guessing it is all made up post war. Hardly original. Droop eagles alone have no business on that rifle. I'd steer clear. It's origins are rougher than a night in a Turkish jail.

Can u educate me on "Droop eagle" stock stamps/cartouche. When were they used?
Cheers

They were used early, pre-war time mainly. From 1935-appx late 1937 to early 1938. Different manufacturers switched over to the Nazi eagles at different times but generally before 1939 when the war started. Cupped butt plate stocks came into use by 1941, long after the droop eagles were out of use. So droop eagles were only on flat butt plate stocks and KM "M" markings stopped in 1941 also if memory serves.

The stock looks to be one of the post war Yugoslav refurbs that was shortened about 1/2 inch. You can tell by the location of the forward barrel step and the front band.

Serial numbers on stock and bolt have been faked, as well. The Germans did not usually mark their marine small arms to a particular ship.

This rifle would be a perfect candidate to carve with a jack knife super size SS Runes and life size Eagles in the stock, chrome plating all the metal is a must. :googlie

Military Rifle Journal
Back