Third Party Press

Recommended ammunition companies

Nevins

All,

Thanks again to the forum for all the help in getting my first Mauser from diehard in the trader forum, now I am looking at where I should be purchasing ammunition. A search here seems to point to using PPU brand ammo which is what I use to source my .30-06. Anyone have any words of wisdom on what to use/things to watch out for? When I shoot I'll mostly just be blasting holes in paper at the range.

You probably won’t get many guys endorsing shooting anything all matching, not sure what you bought though.

When I had a bolt mm for shooting, I liked Privi and S and B 8x57JS. Never had an issue with either one.

Shooting matching 98k

Interested in other opinions but although I tend to not shoot matching, high finish lugers bc the rear toggle finish takes a beating, I'm not sure there is anything delicate about shooting a 98k. Cleaning after is essential, but the rifle itself will be fine. I'd hate to scare someone from enjoying their rifle. My shooter is a matching '37 Sauer rifle. I know there are a bunch on here that feel compelled to shoot all their rifles, that's not me but mostly bc I don't have the time, not out of fear.

Luger, p38, maybe not.
Mauser rifle, walther pistols = yes
My 2 cents
Diehard

I currently have a decent stock of Sellier&Bellot 8x57JS. It's the real deal (196gr. FMJ) Shoots very well and is a proper 8mm 'stout' load.

Be aware that while also good ammunition, PRVI Partizan makes several flavours of 8mm ammunition. If you see '8mm Mauser', it is downloaded stuff that IIRC, I believe would be considered safe to use in .318 barrels (MV: 650m/s) For .323 barrels, try to find their full '8x57JS' loads (MV:740 m/s). For just shooting paper the PRVI '8mm mauser', since downloaded, would stress the rifle less.

Hope this helps
G.

The 98k is stout enough to fire damned near anything, 7,92 mm out of it.

Make sure to flush the bore with water after firing corrosive primed surplus ammo.

Nice rifle but at $1400 not a high end collector rifle. I'm not dissing your new piece just putting some perspective on the conversation. My $.02 will match some/many others. I lean with Dave and think a clean, functional rifle will be fine to shoot anything. Stocks can sometimes be a problem. Maybe be careful if the wood seems overly dry or there's any looseness with the action screws or the recoil lug. Everything should be tight. You might start it off with some 'law loads' like the Remington Express Core-Lokt in 170gr. Definitely a lighter load. IME the Privi in both flavors (196gr and 198gr) are hotter and more in line with the S&B.

Military Rifle Journal
Back