Third Party Press

Hello from Tennessee, first post and a little about myself.

Doc308

Hello all,

First post on the forum and I’m glad to be here. I’m not sure why it has taken me so long to join, being that I love the K98, and variant, rifles. I’m just getting back into collecting these timeless pieces and I would just like to give a quick, or quick to me, story of my growth to enjoy the Mauser rifles.
It began when I was just a kid....... okay maybe I shouldn’t go that far back. But just to touch on that, I always enjoy the bolt action rifles. Playing “Army”, most of the other kids wanted the AR type or semi auto “cool” looking guns, but I had a bolt action, with a spring loaded looking bullet that made it look like I was chambering a round into the rifle. Good times, and that always stuck with me.
Fast forward to my first purchase of a Mauser action rifle. I knew nothing about the Mauser action but I was always drawn to them. I don’t know what got it started, it just did. So I came across a 1918 Amberg Gew 98 that had been, gulp, “sporterized” and re-barreled into a 30-06 with a Bishop stock. Even though it wasn’t original, I liked it, could afford it and I bought it. The action is completely numbers matching too. It still remains in my collection and is a very accurate rifle.
My interest kept growing from there and the information I was finding had taken me down the rabbit hole. This is where modern CZ’s caught my eye. The CZ 550 full stock was now on my list of must haves. After years of searching for the exact one, I finally found it and it became mine. The checkering wasn’t the typical design found on most and that is what made it a difficult to find rifle, or at least for me.
Moving on to my first real unconverted Mauser. The Yugo M48. Granted it’s not a K98, but it was affordable and one step closer to the real deal. With this rifle my knowledge grew and the desire to expand my collection kept growing. Thanks to several books I’ve been able to find, I’m starting to understand how deep this rabbit hole is and I enjoy learning the history of all the Mauser type actions.
In closing, coming to this forum has already shown me that the knowledge of the people on here is incredible and I hope to learn a lot here and hopefully be better prepared in knowing what to look for and having confidence in buying more Mausers. I’m glad to meet you all.

Annnhhhhh, what's up Doc ? Ok, I had to say it. Welcome aboard. No better place to be for all things Mauser. I am strictly a K98 guy but can relate to your progression. I too had the bolt rifle with the little wood bullet growing up when friends had all to modern looking stuff. I just always liked the operation of the bolt feeding the round and carried it into an adult collection. There is simply no better place than here to learn. Many, many knowledgeable folk and a willingness to help and share.

Welcome Doc. Yep no better place to be to learn and share. Love this forum myself as you will always get a straight answer from knowledgeable members. Was glad to share and learn more about my dad's bringback K98k. All questions regarding any future purchases are answered truthfully. hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to have a K98 one day and I know there are people trying to fake them, hence why I'm on here now, and of course the K98 is awesome. Time for me to spend countless hours drooling over everyone's rifles.

Welcome aboard. Found any good sources of wartime K98 rifles in your area? I'm now located in KY, and scouring the multi state area for good examples myself.

Seeing how I couldn't find a good place to post this, I figured I would just add to my first post. This more of a question about the site. Is it possible to add another area for refurbished or variants of the K98 rifles? Meaning once were, or planned to be K98's, what I like to call the stamped Mod 98 models. Much like the Yugo or Czech versions. An area that would be set up for discussion on those rifles would be great so the other areas wouldn't be cluttered with anything other than their intended purpose. I generally collect the Yugo Mod 98 (not M48 versions but I do have one) and Czech Mod 98 rifles, too poor for the original stamped K98's. Just a thought.

Military Rifle Journal
Back