Third Party Press

My new matching P38 AC42 Rig

anawfulsmell

So.. this just happened! Was able to get a matched p38 with original holster. No import marks and the thing is mint! With the mags though. The one is matching the other is one number off. Was the second mag also matched or just from a batch?

Attachments

• image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 107
As issued, there were two mags numbered to the pistol until ac 42 about the c-d block. The mag one number off just got mixed up or a factory error was made. Nice pistol.

very nice rig, I would not let the one off mag bother you, in its own way it adds to it

safe queen for sure

Really nice rig! I also wouldn't sweat the 2nd mag being 1 number off. I agree with Ham in that it probably happened at the factory. I got my first P38 from a member here. It's a z block Spreewerk so the finish quality is considerably lower than yours. Nice snag!

Great score indeed and having the holster is a real plus. Certainly looks mint. thanks for sharing.

Wonderful rig! Even if I found the 2nd matching mag, I’d still keep the “one off mag” with this rig. Way too coincidental that the “one off mag” was with this pistol. Almost like it was just supposed to be with it. Maybe the two consecutive pistols were issued out, and somehow the soldiers accidentally swapped mags....who knows, but that consecutive mag belongs with that pistol.

Guys are always quick to say "factory mismatch", but the factory didn't mismatch serial numbers, especially at that early date. These were Germans, after all. Something's right, or it isn't. Alles in ordnung.

I have a dou 42 98K. My uncle took it from a pile of surrendered weapons shortly after the surrender of the German garrison at St. Nazaire in 1945. Everything matches except the bolt, which is also dou but just a few serial numbers off. He took it off of a pile of bolts right next to the rifles. I figure that the unit that surrendered the rifle was equipped with 98Ks straight from the factory at some point, and there were sequentially numbered guns present through the units history.

As far as finding that matching mag goes, I wish you good luck. To say that the odds are against finding it is a real understatement. I've been looking for my 98K's matching bolt for over 50 years. I came very close once, but it wasn't quite a match, having been made by Mauser. I don't think that your magazine being one digit off detracts an in any way.

Nice find!

The sad fact is that your K.98k bolt and the P.38 mag is more than likely under the mud in Europe somewhere just about to rust into oblivion. But, there’s also a chance the bolt and mag are in guns somewhere too.

Gee, too bad about the "one number off" magazine.
It just really kills the whole rig for me.

However, rather than have you bothered by this for the rest of your life, I might be able to find someone who can make do with this otherwise really super matched rig............ ;-)

Military Rifle Journal
Back