Third Party Press

K98 barrel band wont fit. Sporter restoration

Yustax

I have a BYF K98 1941 that was sporterized. I bought a reworked yugo stock with a shorter handguard and I also replaced the bayonet lug with a 1941 correct period type, but my H shaped barrel band wont fit the rifle. I managed to install the band when I was testing the rifle sling band, the spring and the barrel band and everything fit just fine, but with the barrel, it just refuses to go in at all. Is the barrel band too small? Do I need to file some material off to make it fit? What are my options?

70774119_10158065213883690_3114517928653881344_o.jpg

71333148_10158062577118690_3673977400808439808_n.jpg

That’s a Vz-24 barrel band and a K98k has a dimensionally slightly larger bayonet lug. Even the barrel channel is smaller on the Vz lugs, they won’t saddle all the way on a K98k barrel.

Also the Yugo refurbed K98 stocks have been shortened so it's not full K98 length any longer and the step in the barrel may be interfering with fit. If you end up sending the stock back I'm pretty sure I have a proper one for a byf41 with matching metal.

Why not repair the original stock? That looks like an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the Yugo refurbed K98 stocks have been shortened so it's not full K98 length any longer and the step in the barrel may be interfering with fit. If you end up sending the stock back I'm pretty sure I have a proper one for a byf41 with matching metal.

Sent you a PM.

Why not repair the original stock? That looks like an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I don't have the forend that needs to fit and I also don't have any wood working skills or who to to for such repairs

Yes, that's always the problem with using those Yugoslav refurb stocks to restore a non-Yugoslav reworked K98k. I have seen a couple that were not shortened, but most seem to have been. The VZ24 band is blocking the view of the barrel step on the OP's rifle, so can't say if his stock is a shortened one for sure.

Yes, that's always the problem with using those Yugoslav refurb stocks to restore a non-Yugoslav reworked K98k. I have seen a couple that were not shortened, but most seem to have been. The VZ24 band is blocking the view of the barrel step on the OP's rifle, so can't say if his stock is a shortened one for sure.

Just from the side by side comparison in the photo it looks like a "cut-back" stock for sure to me.

Wrong parts

Man, I hate when people advertise that they're selling K98 parts...but they're the wrong parts.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4296&idcategory=0

Will this fit the old bayo lug from the Yugo capture stock that I have then?

I've done some business w/this seller, & found them to be reasonable folks. Certainly your choice, but I would contact them about it. While I can't defend your receiving the wrong part, they "should" credit you for price & shipping, at least someone there does know the difference. I believe the principal in the business travels a lot, & the helper who does the shipping is not as knowledgable as to what fits what. If you DO contact them & receive less than satisfaction, please let this group know, so others may avoid the experience. I purchased a correct h band for 1909 Argentine rifle and useable stock from a 1912 Chilean short rifle to fit my 1909 Argy engineer's rifle barreled action. My only complaint was that shipping was a bit slow - (Maine to NH doesn't take 9 days)
Your mileage may vary,
Charlie

http://fox-military.com/en/

this is a option, but pricey. You don't want to use the Yugo or Czech versions and there are more options out there for finding 98K stocks, other than yugo reworks. I have a Yugo Mod 98 and bought the Yugo reworked stock and it didn't fit my Yugo rifle, which was odd to me. These guys would know more that I would, I'm still new to this. Hope you find one but be prepared that they aren't always a perfect fit. Let us know how it turns out.

Military Rifle Journal
Back