Third Party Press

Gustloff KKW

Deejay

Here is a Gustloff KKW that was apparently used by the SA in the Faulquemont/Falkenberg area of Lorraine, France, during the time of the Nazi annexation to Germany.

DSC_001.jpgDSC_002.jpgDSC_003.jpgDSC_004.jpgDSC_009.jpg

The rifle was found wrapped in oiled cloths in an attic - the SA d. NSDAP stamp was defaced, which was the logical thing to do at the end of the war, in a time when local people did not want to run the risk of being mistaken for active Nazi supporters.

DSC_0017 (2).jpg

Any idea what the 4 (looks like a 4 to me, or is it a crossed out 1?) on the front sight base means? Is this a K98k part or were there different sizes?

Regards,

Didier

Last edited:
A fantastic rifle for sure!

The KKW's do use a standard K98k front sight base.

I have not seen a numbered front sight base like you show, but I am far, far, from an expert on k98k's.

Some mauser manufacturers (specifically Sweden) mark both their front sight bases and front sights with a height.

Thank you for your reply, Fal Grunt.
So, if I understood correctly, this crossed-out 1 marking (or whatever it is) has nothing to do with the original German K98k sight base as such.

I have checked the photos I could collect, and this 4 does appear regularly on Gustloff KKW front sight bases, often stamped upside down, which may mean that it was put there BEFORE the front sight was mounted onto the rifle.

Here is my BSW KKW with a 4 on the front sight and interestingly a 4 in the sling slot as well.

I'll have to check my Gustloff for any markings later this afternoon.

Attachments

• BSW KKW Stamped 4_01.jpg
    BSW KKW Stamped 4_01.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 40
  • BSW KKW Stamped 4_02.jpg
    BSW KKW Stamped 4_02.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 30
  • BSW KKW Stamped 4_03_New.jpg
    BSW KKW Stamped 4_03_New.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 40
Nice photos !
This 4 on the front sight base does not seem to be uncommon - I would be interested to know whether it also appears on Gustloff-made K98k rifles.

Five on sight base

In my kkw album here, photo 13 of 57, I have a nice pic of a ‘5’ on the front of a sight base. I think it’s a bsw or gustloff. I can check if there is any interest. Somewhere I have a handful of sight korns as well...I should check to see if the kkw sizes varied there. I think all of my kkws are standard sized, though could be some variation.

Nice rifle, it will be my next research and purchase
Thanks for the pics

You are most welcome, donki1967!

In my opinion, the KKW is much more impressive than the (more common) DSM 34 : it looks and feels like a K98k although it is a mere singleshot .22 LR trainer - had it been clip-fed, it would have been perfect in every way.

DSC_0151.jpgDSC_0153.jpg

I have added a (Chinese-made) Norinco JW25 cleaning rod to this KKW to make it look a bit more complete - I have been unable to find an original one so far.

DSC_0030.jpg

KKW and DSM 34 side by side.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back