Third Party Press

AC44 - Worth and Ok to Shoot?

Prkr5885

Hi there,

Originally I was going to pay a bit much for a miss-matched, sanded/re-blued K43 1945 with a scope, but a friend got me in touch with someone who had a G43 that was taken off a German during the war, and hadn't been fired since. I'm told it was kept in a closet most of its life after the war.

I purchased this fine rifle for $2600.00. I haven't opened it up to see if it's all matching yet (due to lacking confidence/time), but I'm disappointed I probably shouldn't shoot it (assuming it's a collector's rifle). Also, I can't really get the cleaning rod out... is there a trick for it? As far as I know, everything is original on it. What do you all think, and what do you think it's really worth/would sell for? Good investment piece to hang onto for 10 - 25 years?

ADDITIONALLY: Pretty sure that black stuff on the stock is dried blood - probably from the solider who was KIA with it. Also, how can I store this long-term - I was thinking of adding some militech/general gun oil on it, but what about the stock?

Last edited:
I think the stock may be from another rifle possibly. I do not see the SN on the photo showing the rear of the wrist but the picture may be just short. However it is a flat buttplate and I think that is too early for a B block rifle. Walter stocks should be serial numbered at this point. Is it marked?

If you decide to shoot it you should definitely look into the shooters kit adjustable gas piston and replacement springs. The originals are typically overpowered and springs worn out. In addition I would find a replacement bolt carrier especially if it matches. That is an early version without the reinforcing rib which comes along later. They tend to crack at the front and the rib was supposed to help. Don't know that it really did but would not want to try with the earlier style without it. It has the closed cocking handle too which is cool. These changed early on and yours is the earlier type with the closed in hole.

Looks nice.

I think the stock may be from another rifle possibly. I do not see the SN on the photo showing the rear of the wrist but the picture may be just short. However it is a flat buttplate and I think that is too early for a B block rifle. Walter stocks should be serial numbered at this point. Is it marked?

If you decide to shoot it you should definitely look into the shooters kit adjustable gas piston and replacement springs. The originals are typically overpowered and springs worn out. In addition I would find a replacement bolt carrier especially if it matches. That is an early version without the reinforcing rib which comes along later. They tend to crack at the front and the rib was supposed to help. Don't know that it really did but would not want to try with the earlier style without it. It has the closed cocking handle too which is cool. These changed early on and yours is the earlier type with the closed in hole.

Looks nice.

No SN anywhere on the stock - there MIGHT be on one of the pictures but I can't make anything out. I would get the apfeltor shooters kit, but I don't know about a BCG if I'm only going to be shooting <100 rounds out of the firearm. Do you have any estimation of how much this G43 is worth? I'm pretty certain it's the original stock due to the stained-blood - perhaps it was changed out during the war or during production? Any recommendations for longterm care - i.e copper brush/oil, any wax on stock, or?

The area circled in red should be your stock serial number. If you can make out 486 b, then its the correct stock. I cant exactly make it out from that photo.

Attachments

• 20191006_152623.jpg
    20191006_152623.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 52
The area circled in red should be your stock serial number. If you can make out 486 b, then its the correct stock. I cant exactly make it out from that photo.

Tried manipulating the image, and it's impossible to make out. Looks like the last character is either an 8 or an uppercase B possibly?

Nice looking rifle, congrats! Walther was notorious for light strikes on the stock proofs and numbering, with two e/359 on the cheek I’m inclined to think this is the correct stock, Walther dropped to one proof on later guns but this would be right on a b block. I would get some more pictures under better light of the keel but something should be there for the SN. Should have a threaded muzzle as well, it will be important to confirm internal bolt numbers match but overall, depending on what you paid, everything looks original so sum of parts is still pretty valuable.

Oh, and I wouldn’t shoot it, JMHO, there are plenty of G43 actions out there you can drop into a repo stock and shoot, just asking to crack or break something.

Take the story and blood stain with a grain of salt, there are a lot of them....

Thanks, Nick

From what I can see it looks like a matching stock, like I said over on GB if all matching worth at least 3K :thumbsup:

Better pictures are need to give a good evaluation but I doubt the stock is correct. The rifle serial number is only 3 digits correct? I see 4 digits on the stock. Walther did not stamp the letter prefix. And the font is too small.

Here are legit examples of early Walther stocks
1944 ac (26).jpg1944 ac d block (10).jpg1944 ac K block (5).jpg

Didn’t Walther use small numbers early on before changing? AC43’s have a smaller number on the stock keel, not sure if this carried over to the early letter blocks in 1944. Hopefully one of the guys who keep trend data have some info. If it’s 4 numbers stamped then obviously a mismatch but kinda wondering if it may be correct, certainly looks original and G43 stocks are not the easiest to find if it was some kind of resto.

Thanks, Nick

Better pictures are need to give a good evaluation but I doubt the stock is correct. The rifle serial number is only 3 digits correct? I see 4 digits on the stock. Walther did not stamp the letter prefix. And the font is too small.

Here are legit examples of early Walther stocks
View attachment 217969View attachment 217970View attachment 217971

The G43 by Walther in 1943 will have the tiny numbers (as on OP stock) stamped on the stock...like they did on the G41. Probably just a rollover from the G41 production? Those small numbers did not last long though.

This stock is likely from a ac43 G43.

Last edited:
The G43 by Walther in 1943 will have the tiny numbers (as on OP stock) stamped on the stock...like they did on the G41. Probably just a rollover from the G41 production? Those small numbers did not last long though.

This stock is likely from a ac43 G43.

This. Walther did have the small font stamps but they seem to be gone by 1944. The first rifle I posted is a no letter block 1944. The second one is a d block. The rifle in the OP is a b block, so doubtful that it had the older numbering style. Plus it appears to have 4 digits when it should only have 3.

Correct...wonder if any of the ac44 G43s used the small letters, and did any of the ac43s G43 use large letters??
They obviously stopped numbering with the small letters very soon.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back