Third Party Press

QVE 45 K43 a buddy picked up this weekend.

Only thing found in the buttstock was a sliding external cover for the later action cover, not one of the internal dust covers like that one on the rifle.

As far as the hood rails, it had no scratches or wear up there so maybe it never had one?

It’s possible that it never had one installed. It’s also reasonable that one was put on it and taken off (for who knows why) very carefully. My “vote” would be that it probably didn’t have one. I have a K.43 ac45 a block rifle that never had one installed. I also have a K.98k dou.45 that never had one either. Things were getting sometimes scarce and omitted at this point.

Does the bolt components match up too?

mdarnell19: I was looking at your rifle again....just awesome as well. That clear coated mag is really neat and the “ribbing” on the milled bolt action cover is neat as well. I own the 3rd highest known f block K.43 qve45 rifle and it has the milled bolt action cover too. It’s just one of those features that BLM never even thought about when these were made, but makes collectors really happy!

Last edited:
Thanks Tiger. It was my first matching German sniper rifle. Got it from a good friend. Milled action cover was just a bonus. Don't have that mag anymore.

It’s possible that it never had one installed. It’s also reasonable that one was put on it and taken off (for who knows why) very carefully. My “vote” would be that it probably didn’t have one. I have a K.43 ac45 a block rifle that never had one installed. I also have a K.98k dou.45 that never had one either. Things were getting sometimes scarce and omitted at this point.

Does the bolt components match up too?

mdarnell19: I was looking at your rifle again....just awesome as well. That clear coated mag is really neat and the “ribbing” on the milled bolt action cover is neat as well. I own the 3rd highest known f block K.43 qve45 rifle and it has the milled bolt action cover too. It’s just one of those features that BLM never even thought about when these were made, but makes collectors really happy!

I dont remember if all the bolt parts are marked, but I do know everything I seen had a 83 on them. I will take it apart at a later time and check. My buddy that owns this is having some health issues now, so kinda worried about him.

I dont remember if all the bolt parts are marked, but I do know everything I seen had a 83 on them. I will take it apart at a later time and check. My buddy that owns this is having some health issues now, so kinda worried about him.

Sorry to hear on the health issues. No problem on looking as it’s not important on our end of things to know.

G/K 43 Barrels were “pressed in” with the aid of a horizontal press. Whoever used a pipe wrench on that barrel post war must have thought it was threaded.

The picture shows what could be a hairline crack in the bolt housing, originating from the cutout for the dust cover, but hopefully it's only a scratch. Cracks in this area are not uncommon for G43 and G41 rifles with milled bolt housings. In addition, the square tab on the G41 recoil spring retainer often puts an outward facing dent in the top of the bolt housing near the rear end.

xdTjdod.jpg

The picture shows what could be a hairline crack in the bolt housing, originating from the cutout for the dust cover, but hopefully it's only a scratch. Cracks in this area are not uncommon for G43 and G41 rifles with milled bolt housings. In addition, the square tab on the G41 recoil spring retainer often puts an outward facing dent in the top of the bolt housing near the rear end.

xdTjdod.jpg

Hrmm, I'll be sure to check it out closer when I have it in my hands.

That's what they appeared to me. Maybe barrel installation marks?

If there are wrench marks on a barrel or receiver from attempted removal, then whoever put them there didn't understand how these rifles were made. In a design that was a real departure from earlier practice, G/K43 barrels were pressed into heated receivers, then pinned. There were no threads. Barrels cannot be removed or replaced. You'll notice that the bolt carrier lugs lock into the barrel to the rear of the chamber, not the receiver. Correct headspace was achieved with close bolt and barrel manufacturing tolerances, and could not be adjusted.

Kinda reminds me of the wrench marks commonly seen on the barrel collars on Spanish Astra model 1921, 300, 400, and 600 pistols. Someone didn't know that to remove the collar, you just depress the locking ring and rotate the collar.

If there are wrench marks on a barrel or receiver from attempted removal, then whoever put them there didn't understand how these rifles were made. In a design that was a real departure from earlier practice, G/K43 barrels were pressed into heated receivers, then pinned. There were no threads. Barrels cannot be removed or replaced. You'll notice that the bolt carrier lugs lock into the barrel to the rear of the chamber, not the receiver. Correct headspace was achieved with close bolt and barrel manufacturing tolerances, and could not be adjusted.

Kinda reminds me of the wrench marks commonly seen on the barrel collars on Spanish Astra model 1921, 300, 400, and 600 pistols. Someone didn't know that to remove the collar, you just depress the locking ring and rotate the collar.

Objections, your honor. Apfeltor does offer barrel replacement, therefore it must be possible to press the old barrel out and reinsert a new one.
The lugs do lock into the receiver as you can see from the sectional view below. The barrel ends at the bolt face.

g43_insides.jpg

The modern Heckler and Koch and CETME rifles also use a pressed in barrel. (Not speaking of the really recent new ones produced). I’m trying to see the advantage of “pressed in” vs. threaded? There’s no step skipping as the factory has to machine the barrel/receiver threads OR heat up the receiver and press it in and pin it. So, I don’t know what the advantage would be AND it makes barrel replacement darn near impossible, especially anywhere outside of the factory. I’m sure if Hk/CETME was doing it, there must be some advantage, I just can’t see it.

I remember an article in Machine Gun News (well, I think it was this magazine) where it was the Colt 9mm AR-15 vs. the Hk MP5, which was the best. One huge argument for the Colt was that a blown barrel could easily be replaced and ready to go where an MP5 blown barrel had the gun out for quite a while for barrel replacement.

If those marks on the barrel are from an attempt to remove the barrel, wonder why someone would try it on this rifle? Look inside the bore and see if anything is wrong. Hard to fathom someone trying to remove the barrel on a nice rifle like this one. I mean the stock hasn’t been hit with sandpaper or anything. Nothing looks wrong on anything else from what all we are seeing.

Last edited:
I guess press fit barrels are the by-product of cheap fabrication. Cutting a thread into the receiver and a thread on the outside of the barrel shank takes extra time and equipment versus turning a straight shank on the barrel and drilling/milling a hole into the receiver. Other than in G43 and G3, you find this technique in other throw-away combat rifles such as MP44 and AK-47.

I am not a machinist, but it's my understanding that concentric threading of a barrel is actually pretty difficult and requires skilled labor. Even in modern times, cutting threads onto a barrel for supressor mounting seems to be difficult.

yes pipe wrench marks shame,
barrels are pressed because it is easier to set headspace than screwed barrels, instead of cutting the chamber end, the barrel is pressed with headspace gauge, then pin hole drilled, easier for the alignment of the sights.

two comments

do not shoot this rifle

do not put a repro front sight hood on that beautiful rifle if you can afford the $2,500.00 you can d a original hood and sling!!!!!!!

yes pipe wrench marks shame,
barrels are pressed because it is easier to set headspace than screwed barrels, instead of cutting the chamber end, the barrel is pressed with headspace gauge, then pin hole drilled, easier for the alignment of the sights.

two comments

do not shoot this rifle

do not put a repro front sight hood on that beautiful rifle if you can afford the $2,500.00 you can d a original hood and sling!!!!!!!

Me personally, I’d leave the front sight alone and not put any hood on it. Didn’t know the AK/MP44’s had a pressed in barrel.

Fantastic find!

Zeebill told me about this one, I spoke to him earlier today - hope he's well and back home soon!

This is one of the rifles on my "bucket list" - I'd save up for one but I keep finding things I want to buy so the funds keep on rolling out...

Maybe "someday" I'll be fortunate enough to stumble onto a nice one like this.

Congrats, and give my regards to Zeebill when you talk to him again. I'll try giving him a call again tomorrow morning.

Zeebill told me about this one, I spoke to him earlier today - hope he's well and back home soon!

This is one of the rifles on my "bucket list" - I'd save up for one but I keep finding things I want to buy so the funds keep on rolling out...

Maybe "someday" I'll be fortunate enough to stumble onto a nice one like this.

Congrats, and give my regards to Zeebill when you talk to him again. I'll try giving him a call again tomorrow morning.

Hes still in the hospital will be for tonight anyways. Getting more heart tests done on him.

Military Rifle Journal
Back