Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1890 Haenel Kar88

Default My 1890 Haenel Kar88

Here’s my Kar88, 100% matching with an excellent bore. Considering it’s overall condition I suspect it was a WW1 bring back with no post war modifications. It first saw service with a heavy cavalry regiment, the Bavarian 1st Schweres Reiter Regiment and then issued to a Bavarian reserve artillery ammunition column. Seems a likely use for a then secondary weapon.

Great carbine! I really enjoy these and I like the unit markings.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Thanks for sharing! I also love these carbines. Very aesthetically appealing to my eye. Great unit markings too!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I’m a sucker for the short carbines, they just handle so well, thanks for posting! The kar66 is awesome but by far my favorite is the Werder!

Excellent K88 and will help with our research project, - though I would like to see the bottom flat of the bolt handle to capture the acceptance pattern. Probably C/S but you never know for sure. Our study on the K88 is progressing slowly, not nearly as well as the M71 and 71/84 research threads. I just do not come across as many K88 and 91's as the others for some reason. I remember when I was active collecting (buying) I always saw K88's, but rarely the 71's, but it didn't matter as i didn't really have much interest in either until CB got me interested in the subject.

Anyway, if you can get us the bolt bottom flat details for the study, pictures are not required, just confirm it is C/S or C/H or whatever... I would like to add these details to the trends study.

Here are the bolt flats, I assume the bottom flat is an acceptance, no idea of the meaning of the front flat.
    I agree about the randomness of scarcities, when actively collecting I’ve never had trouble finding high condition 71/84’s but 71’s always eluded me. I have always wanted a high condition matching Gew88 and have never seen one outside the Golden State Arms catalogs in the 1950’s although well worn ones have always been available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CLG; 10-26-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Yes, 1898-1945 i try to trend the bolts acceptance pattern, especially the bottom or lower flat of the bolt body. NS era I take a more thorough approach, trending every components acceptance (due to the diversity caused by reliance upon subcontracting)

Not sure what the front the flat markings are, possibly something along the lines of Amberg's mysterious numbers. Either way this is the first i have seen or noticed the pattern, so i am not sure how far this goes. I doubt we could form much of a trend on them to determine (guess) at a purpose. Pretty hard just getting bottom flat acceptance.

Thanks for the extra effort, I added this characteristic to out K88 research thread.

That's a nice one congrats!

A very nice Kar88 and thank you for adding it to the research study. I'm going to be posting a pretty cool Kar88 here in the next few weeks. But I'm waiting on a very special item for it not telling either. It's a surprise!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Default Another sucker for bolt carbines!

I enjoy collecting and also shooting these old BA carbines. Mine have good condition bores and with the right handloads they make nice groups. And they're a joy to handle and pack around. I have several long old 71-84s and Kropatschecks that are a pain to take to the range and a pain to clean and store. I like them anyway, but not as much as the carbines.
    Attached Images Attached Images