Third Party Press

WW2 Luftwaffe contract Red 9

md66948

My WW2 Luftwaffe contract Red 9.

The German government purchased 7,800 commercial M30 pistols in 1940 for use by the Luftwaffe. They have Wehrmacht proof marks and the Mauser serial numbers come from the early- to mid-1930s. The weapon had ceased production in

1937 but the order was filled from remaining stocks. According to Kersten, Moll and Schmid, these were likely purchased by the High Command of the Armed Forces and issued to motorcycle and flak crews of the Luftwaffe.

That’s pretty cool! I’ve never heard of these before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never heard of that either. How rock solid is the info that they went to the luftwaffe? What is the proof marking? E/N? Pic isn’t clear but it looks like an e/F?

An M30 (1930s production) would have serial numbers in the 700,000 to 800,000 range. It would also have the Mauser banner on the side of the frame, 12-groove grips, and the so-called "universal safety".

I've head of the SS using some of the full auto Mauser pistols, but never the Luftwaffe buying 9mm ones. Interesting.

An M30 (1930s production) would have serial numbers in the 700,000 to 800,000 range. It would also have the Mauser banner on the side of the frame, 12-groove grips, and the so-called "universal safety".

I've head of the SS using some of the full auto Mauser pistols, but never the Luftwaffe buying 9mm ones. Interesting.

I had two major High End Collectors tell me they think these were issued to Paratroopers. They shared some pictures with me of German Paratroopers in Combat carrying Broomhandles. One picture clearly exposed part of a 9 on the grip.

They both told me they were aware of this contract by the Luftwaffe but they have never seen one. They both offered me a lot of money for my Red 9 but I turned them down. This will go to one of my sons.

The Liberator belongs to my youngest son. He bought it an an auction. We knew it was an original one because our friend has one plus the ATF required the Repros to have rifling and a serial number. Other bidders were not sure about it and we didn't offer our opinion. He picked it up for $300.00.

So there is a serial number range for these? What distinguishes this as Luftwaffe?

One more question, what is a Wehrmact proof?

Last edited:
I was a little sceptical of this one and finally had some time to do some digging.

From what I can find, the OKL apparently wrote to the HWA in 1940 and requested 10,000 Artillery Lugers assuming they would be available. HWA responded that they could not supply the requested pistols, but they could provide 10,000 Schnellfeuer machinepistols instead. These were apparently an undelivered 1936 Chinese contract. So I suspect the Luftwaffe ended up accepting these.

I am very sceptical of the Eagle on this one, and the SN seems too early. The F? underneath it makes me think someone might have been trying to fake a police E/F marking. Some Spandau marked C96 pistols are reported, but I don't think I like this one. I don't think this pistol is Luftwaffe in any case.

Just as an aside, I do have an Artillery Luger the Luftwaffe reworked so they must have gotten their hands on some somewhere.

This was a Bring Back from a Colonel and I got it at an auction of his estate. He had a huge collection of Lugers, Jap Pistols and all types of Sniper Rifles from WWII. I spoke to his daughter who told me she picked this pistol out of a bunch of Lugers because it was different and she could read the Number 9 on it. Her dad started in the Pacific and was sent to England to help train soldiers for the Normandy Landing. He did stay in Germany for a year after the war ended.

That is all I know about the history of this Broomhandle.

Sounds like quite the story. I never buy the story, especially if there are fake guns in it. Post a really good image of the Eagle marking so we can see what it is, might lead us to the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen photo evidence of Luft anyone with a broomhandle. I also have no reason to doubt they would have been issued within the Wehrmacht during wartime. I do however have a pic of a Luft officer in either FJR 2 or 3 with an artillery Luger. Time to dig through some books

Military Rifle Journal
Back