Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.F.V. - Reichsfinanzverwaltung rifles

Default R.F.V. - Reichsfinanzverwaltung rifles

I see it often that some collectors misinterpret where K98k rifles with R.F.V. marking at the buttplate were mainly used. These rifles get called "bank guard" rifles for interbank transfers etc.

It's unlikely that these R.F.V. marked rifles were used as "bank guard" rifles, they rather served in the Zollgrenzdienst/Zollgrenzschutz (Customs Border Guards). The Customs Border Guards was subordinate to the Reichsfinanzverwaltung (abbreviation R.F.V.) and their members had a R.F.V. badge as shoulder mark on their uniform.

The Zollgrenzschutz was charged with guarding Germany's borders, acting as a combination Border Patrol and Customs & Immigration service. In 1938 and 1939 the Zollgrenzschutz took part in the occupation of Austria, the Sudetenland, the "Rest of Czechoslovakia" and the Memelland. The Zollgrenzschutz was used from 1939 in most occupied countries to guard the borders, fight smuggling and partisans, later they got even used directly at the frontline.

Here is a photo of Zollgrenzschutz members of Zollgrenzschutz Frankreich in the Pyrenees near Saint-Béat:
    Zollgrenzschutz (10).jpg

On June 22, 1941 Germany started Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union and already in 1941 the Zollgrenzschutz was used at the Eastern Front to fight against partisans. I could find a combat report from the Zollgrenzschutz which was deployed 115 miles north-eastern of Kiev and I have translated it for you.
    Zollgrenzschutz (1).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (2).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (3).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (4).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (5).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (6).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (7).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (8).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (9).jpg

If somebody has a rifle with R.F.V. marking at the buttplate, it would be nice when you share the data and some photos. Until now I know K98k, Karabiner 98a and vz.24 with Reichsfinanzverwaltung property marking. In particular I need more data of the Karabiner 98a.

Regards,
    Stephan

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Stephan thanks for that explanation and the translation of the action report. Good stuff!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Default R.F.V. - Reichsfinanzverwaltung rifles

Great document! I gathered a few RFV numbers for the book which you have. I’d be interested to see the results of your collection efforts when done. I noticed that many of the earliest numbers were on 1936 dated guns, and higher numbers on 1934 rifles. It led me to believe that an event in 1936 caused a great number of RFV rifles to be marked and issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..It led me to believe that an event in 1936 caused a great number of RFV rifles to be marked and issued.
    Interesting. The Olympics? Rheinlandbesetzung perhaps?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Very interesting. It seems the PP and PPK marked pistols with RFV turn up more frequently. We know more about them. I think they are linked and can be understood combined. There is a thread on them on them, including my PP, on Jan Still's forum. Hopefully that forum info can help.

Here are the two RFV K98ks I own. Both S/42 1936 “t” block. I have seen an additional 2 RFV rifles in the same SN block. I wish I had kept the serial numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

an early rifle with a high RFV number
    -Peter

wtb: bnz single claw sniper scope with rings.

"History is always written by the victor and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there" Jochen Peiper.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan98k View Post
    ..rifles for interbank transfers etc.
    Yeah that was me. I didn't know and was just looking for something to stick. Anyway to my question. Do you think they purchased a few thousand rifle in the very beginning and then bought another thousand or so quickly in 1936?

Not to go way off topic but it reminds me a bit of the BGS FAL rifles and the 'trials' before the Bundeswehr bought them. Kind of.

Only have the one picture of my buddies rifle. I almost bought this one because I really liked it but my safe is getting really full right now.

And Stephan I really enjoy reading what information you find it really is wonderful information. Thank you so much for taking the time to translate all this I know that had to be a lot of work. Oh I remember a few months ago you told me you were going to have surgery if you've already had it done I hope your recovery goes well.
    Last edited by Warrior1354; 10-19-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers