Third Party Press

R.F.V. - Reichsfinanzverwaltung rifles

Stephan98k

aka 8x57IS
I see it often that some collectors misinterpret where K98k rifles with R.F.V. marking at the buttplate were mainly used. These rifles get called "bank guard" rifles for interbank transfers etc.

It's unlikely that these R.F.V. marked rifles were used as "bank guard" rifles, they rather served in the Zollgrenzdienst/Zollgrenzschutz (Customs Border Guards). The Customs Border Guards was subordinate to the Reichsfinanzverwaltung (abbreviation R.F.V.) and their members had a R.F.V. badge as shoulder mark on their uniform.

The Zollgrenzschutz was charged with guarding Germany's borders, acting as a combination Border Patrol and Customs & Immigration service. In 1938 and 1939 the Zollgrenzschutz took part in the occupation of Austria, the Sudetenland, the "Rest of Czechoslovakia" and the Memelland. The Zollgrenzschutz was used from 1939 in most occupied countries to guard the borders, fight smuggling and partisans, later they got even used directly at the frontline.

Here is a photo of Zollgrenzschutz members of Zollgrenzschutz Frankreich in the Pyrenees near Saint-Béat:
Zollgrenzschutz (10).jpg

On June 22, 1941 Germany started Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union and already in 1941 the Zollgrenzschutz was used at the Eastern Front to fight against partisans. I could find a combat report from the Zollgrenzschutz which was deployed 115 miles north-eastern of Kiev and I have translated it for you.
Zollgrenzschutz (1).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (2).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (3).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (4).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (5).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (6).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (7).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (8).jpg Zollgrenzschutz (9).jpg

If somebody has a rifle with R.F.V. marking at the buttplate, it would be nice when you share the data and some photos. Until now I know K98k, Karabiner 98a and vz.24 with Reichsfinanzverwaltung property marking. In particular I need more data of the Karabiner 98a.

Regards,
Stephan

Stephan thanks for that explanation and the translation of the action report. Good stuff!

Great document! I gathered a few RFV numbers for the book which you have. I’d be interested to see the results of your collection efforts when done. I noticed that many of the earliest numbers were on 1936 dated guns, and higher numbers on 1934 rifles. It led me to believe that an event in 1936 caused a great number of RFV rifles to be marked and issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting. It seems the PP and PPK marked pistols with RFV turn up more frequently. We know more about them. I think they are linked and can be understood combined. There is a thread on them on them, including my PP, on Jan Still's forum. Hopefully that forum info can help.

Here are the two RFV K98ks I own. Both S/42 1936 “t” block. I have seen an additional 2 RFV rifles in the same SN block. I wish I had kept the serial numbers.

Attachments

• 78669B34-DD4C-41E9-84D1-9B3FEA69CDF5.jpg
    78669B34-DD4C-41E9-84D1-9B3FEA69CDF5.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 92
  • CFC1B65B-8E6E-41C1-BF64-2886091AF25D.jpg
    CFC1B65B-8E6E-41C1-BF64-2886091AF25D.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 82
an early rifle with a high RFV number

Attachments

• s147k 7222 10s.jpg
    s147k 7222 10s.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 56
  • s147k 7222 11s.jpg
    s147k 7222 11s.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 53
  • s147k 7222 12s.jpg
    s147k 7222 12s.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 66
..rifles for interbank transfers etc.

Yeah that was me. I didn't know and was just looking for something to stick. Anyway to my question. Do you think they purchased a few thousand rifle in the very beginning and then bought another thousand or so quickly in 1936?

Not to go way off topic but it reminds me a bit of the BGS FAL rifles and the 'trials' before the Bundeswehr bought them. Kind of.

Only have the one picture of my buddies rifle. I almost bought this one because I really liked it but my safe is getting really full right now.

And Stephan I really enjoy reading what information you find it really is wonderful information. Thank you so much for taking the time to translate all this I know that had to be a lot of work. Oh I remember a few months ago you told me you were going to have surgery if you've already had it done I hope your recovery goes well.

Attachments

• 20191006_184136.jpg
    20191006_184136.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
@heavy_mech
You are very welcome and it wasn't a bad thing you mentioned "rifles for interbank transfers". I have heard similar assumptions quite often in the last time and because of you, I thought it's the right time to write something about the R.F.V. rifles. I think I have a answer to your question about the distribution of the rifles, but at first I have to look more into some details.

@Mike
Some days ago Bruce got a email from me and later you will get the same, I have a updated version for you. You are right, the earliest R.F.V. numbers are Mauser Oberndorf S/42 1936 and S/42 1937, later R.F.V. numbers are Sauer & Sohn S/147/K, S/147/G and Erma S/27G. At first glance it looks chaotic, but there is a clear pattern. Maybe I have a answer, but I still have to look at some documents and then I will write more about it. Now I can tell already, it has something to do with the efforts for Reichsverteidigung (Reichs defense), in addition with the claim to power of Heinrich Himmler and the event was in early 1937.
I have more than 300 original documents which are very interesting, they are all about Reichsverteidigung and they involve Zollgrenzschutz, Deutsche Reichspost, Deutsche Reichsbahn and SS. There are some hidden treasures for our research.

@Mike Radford
Yes, the PP and PPK pistols with R.F.V. marking turn up more frequently. I also look at the pistols and I agree, they can be understood combined, it's the same with Kriegsmarine rifles and pistols. Do you have a link to the thread on Jan Still's forum?

@NathanLM
Thank you very much for your data, the second rifle I knew already and the first one sn "8003t" was new to me, they suit perfect into the pattern.

@Peter S
This one was also very helpful, thank you very much.

@Jordan
You are very welcome and you are right, it was a lot of work but it was worth the time and now we all know more about the background.
It's a pitty you didn't bought your buddies rifle, but I understand the problem with the full safe and I have the same problem with the safe. There were unforeseen circumstances in family in the last weeks and therefore I stopped the upcoming surgery. I had to take care about my family, but next week I'll take the time to visit my doctor.

@heavy_mech
You are very welcome and it wasn't a bad thing you mentioned "rifles for interbank transfers". I have heard similar assumptions quite often in the last time and because of you, I thought it's the right time to write something about the R.F.V. rifles. I think I have a answer to your question about the distribution of the rifles, but at first I have to look more into some details.

@Mike
Some days ago Bruce got a email from me and later you will get the same, I have a updated version for you. You are right, the earliest R.F.V. numbers are Mauser Oberndorf S/42 1936 and S/42 1937, later R.F.V. numbers are Sauer & Sohn S/147/K, S/147/G and Erma S/27G. At first glance it looks chaotic, but there is a clear pattern. Maybe I have a answer, but I still have to look at some documents and then I will write more about it. Now I can tell already, it has something to do with the efforts for Reichsverteidigung (Reichs defense), in addition with the claim to power of Heinrich Himmler and the event was in early 1937.
I have more than 300 original documents which are very interesting, they are all about Reichsverteidigung and they involve Zollgrenzschutz, Deutsche Reichspost, Deutsche Reichsbahn and SS. There are some hidden treasures for our research.

@Mike Radford
Yes, the PP and PPK pistols with R.F.V. marking turn up more frequently. I also look at the pistols and I agree, they can be understood combined, it's the same with Kriegsmarine rifles and pistols. Do you have a link to the thread on Jan Still's forum?

@NathanLM
Thank you very much for your data, the second rifle I knew already and the first one sn "8003t" was new to me, they suit perfect into the pattern.

@Peter S
This one was also very helpful, thank you very much.

@Jordan
You are very welcome and you are right, it was a lot of work but it was worth the time and now we all know more about the background.
It's a pitty you didn't bought your buddies rifle, but I understand the problem with the full safe and I have the same problem with the safe. There were unforeseen circumstances in family in the last weeks and therefore I stopped the upcoming surgery. I had to take care about my family, but next week I'll take the time to visit my doctor.

Well I did kind of convince him to keep it. After all it that was the only K98k he had left in his collection being he traded off two of them to me for my G41. Really it was a great gun and the more I told him about the RFV marking, he said you know what this is a cool rifle in really nice shape. What the hell back to the collection room it stays!

And I to hate to hear about the circumstances with your family Stephan. I really hope things get better for your family and I wish you a speedy recovery after you do your surgery.

Make any headway Stephan? All fascinating info in here. One question, where are all the RFV Gew98s, they sure show up in a great many pictures in their use, but I’ve never heard of any examples, has anyone else?

Military Rifle Journal
Back