Third Party Press

Help identifying/confirming SWP 45 K98

Drageppo

Hello all,

Considering purchasing. I was under the impression that all of the SWP45s were assembled with some variant of the Kriegsmodell stocks. This one has the cupped buttplate, take-down disk/washer (well, it has the hole for it, it clearly came off at some point), bayonet lug, and a cleaning rod/hole. Am I incorrect and this could possibly be all original with this type of stock? I'm also not familiar with the "S1" next to the shield.
These photos are the only ones I have at this time, so I apologize in advance.
The rifle in question is the one on the bottom (the lighter colored one) in the photo with two Mausers.

Cheers

Attachments

• unnamed (2).png
    unnamed (2).png
    199.6 KB · Views: 54
  • unnamed (5).png
    unnamed (5).png
    223.6 KB · Views: 65
  • unnamed (3).png
    unnamed (3).png
    221.7 KB · Views: 64
  • unnamed (1).png
    unnamed (1).png
    201.5 KB · Views: 64
here's the photo of where the take-down disk in the buttstock should be, and the markings underneath.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 51
It’s not a matching gun, it’s a Russian capture. Stock markings are fake, but Russian captures are total mismatches anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the fast reply/assessment! I'll probably pass on this one then. However, out of curiosity, what does the "S1" on the barrel represent? Also, why are the stock markings fake, so I know what to look for in the future.
What do you ballpark reckon this could be worth, providing everything else about it is in good shape (bore, chamber, bolt, etc.)? Seller is asking $1200

Yep an R/C for sure and that stock is humped so I’d be VERY suspicious of anything on this rifle. The Russian “X” marking is the dead giveaway (for new folks.)
c9a05ad3f661db5ee56524f281044dc9.jpg

S1 is part of the barrel code, a production tracking code. Markings on stock are incorrect location and type for any K98k rifle, so that’s the first clue. Fakers usually stamp as many nazi eagles as they can as it attracts new and uneducated buyers. Usually people aren’t wise enough to ask first, so good for you.

Oh, value is about 650 tops imo as swp45 is desirable.

Thanks a million, I appreciate it. I wasn't 100% sure if that was truly an "X" or just a ding mark.

That “X” isn’t always well struck, but once you know what it looks like you can identify it even if it’s only partially there. I’m glad you checked here first!

That “X” isn’t always well struck, but once you know what it looks like you can identify it even if it’s only partially there. I’m glad you checked here first!

Me too! I'm reading as much as I possibly can about these rifles, especially on these forums, but I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions for you all in the future as my search continues.

Me too! I'm reading as much as I possibly can about these rifles, especially on these forums, but I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions for you all in the future as my search continues.

Don’t be afraid to ask even if you think it’s stupid!! Who knows what your questions will lead you to, and others learn when you ask too. EVERYONE started out knowing nothing about these, so you’re starting out the same as everyone else had to.

Military Rifle Journal
Back