Third Party Press

Thoughts on switching bolts assembly to shoot?

bshmail24

Hey guys, I have a all matching BYF44 that I want to occasionally take out to shoot. My concern is damaging the firing pin or small parts that are prone to failure. That being said would getting another bolt assembly be a simple plug and play? Is it safe to fire? I know a lot of folks believe in not firing a all matching and instead get a Yugo or RC but right now that is not a option for me. I appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could fire it as is. But if you do I would recommend shooting modern ammunition. Its loaded less hot than old surplus stuff and wont be as hard on the rifle. Atleast thats what ive always been told. Another thing you could do is, just leave it as is and save up to buy another k98k alltogether to shoot. Can never have to many anyway :thumbsup:

John.

Interesting question but a good one. A spare bolt is what, $150? The main parts that will break will be the FP, extractor, ejector, or safety, and three of those are covered with a bolt. If it headspaces it’s fine. So while you save for a shooter (great advice per bnz41john), you can shoot with that bolt and then sell it.

Guessing you just want to shoot for fun and not put 1000 rounds through it. Only part I'd worry about is the firing pin, you could just pick up a spare for that. I have bolts AND spare pins. The pin would run $27.90 shipped in the lower 48 if interested. I have K98 Norway used bolts for $160 shipped. The bolts are original save for a new serial number added to the top root, the rest is original to itself and 100% serviceable. Just options.

Interesting question but a good one. A spare bolt is what, $150? The main parts that will break will be the FP, extractor, ejector, or safety, and three of those are covered with a bolt. If it headspaces it’s fine. So while you save for a shooter (great advice per bnz41john), you can shoot with that bolt and then sell it.

Awesome advice. How do you properly headspace? Also there’s a bolt assembly in the classifieds section I was looking at picking up. No issues just sliding it right in and firing it? Sorry for the newbie questions! Thanks guys!

Awesome advice. How do you properly headspace? Also there’s a bolt assembly in the classifieds section I was looking at picking up. No issues just sliding it right in and firing it? Sorry for the newbie questions! Thanks guys!

Bring it to a gunsmith, a real one, he'll have the "go" and "no go" gauges and should do that for you for free. If he doesn't have those gauges he isn't a real gunsmith :thumbsup:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ace-gauges/go-no-go-gauge-sets-prod26876.aspx

Great advice !:thumbsup:
Just thought I'd add that another major concern is breaking the stock.
If the wood behind the recoil bolt lug gives way the tang will often crack the stock in the grip area.
This can really ruin your day.:boom:

Yes, I would be more worried about the stock than the bolt components. Either one is a possibility tho.

There certainly is....buy a junker to shoot where it doesn't matter if something breaks.

This may sound crazy but I believe that a slip on recoil pad helps, especially when shooting from a bench.
But this is still no guarantee.:happy0180:

Last edited:
There certainly is....buy a junker to shoot where it doesn't matter if something breaks.

Totally agree with this. I won't shoot any matching rifle, even a few of my bolt mismatches I will not shoot. Get a shooter. I have a post war built one for shooting.

Military Rifle Journal
Back