Third Party Press

repop, refurbished, or humped?

grimlin13

Found this on ebay. Sorry no pics, they will not download. Item number 163914690959. Listed as reproduction. Been in contact with seller. Says it is a repop, got it from IMA or WW2supply. Will let me know for sure IF they can remember. This one is good if repop. I think it has been humped. Possible serial numbers scrubbed and restamped, then reblued. Appears to have black paint on grips. The pommel has the plum colored blue on it. The font on the serial number is off. The 7`s are wrong compared to other E.Pack 7`s. The other thing I see is there is no date below E.PACK on scabbard. Go take a look at this one and judge for yourself.

Modern reproduction. grimlin13 pointed out many of the problem areas. Finish, grip scales, lack of date to the scabbard (and also blade spine?). And just an overall incorrect appearance. Here are some other areas to keep in mind:

- Maker and serial number/letter block are pantograph engraved; not stamped as they should be on original examples
- Incorrect scabbard mouth shape
- Wrong screw for throat assembly
- Incorrect frog hanging hook assembly (base plate and hook)
- Absence of pommel WaA acceptance stampings
- Improper font for E. Pack markings
- Incorrect construction methods for the hilt assembly, pommel, crossguard, blade, and scabbard shell
- Overall incorrect shape of the scabbard shell especially to the lower taper
- Improperly applied and shaped finial ball
- Incorrect style and poorly detailed WaA stamp to ball

Thanks Slash. What threw me off on it being a reproduction(me thinking it was humped) was the plum on the pommel and the color of the grips under the black paint showing through. This reproduction is a lot better than the last one I posted.

Anyway when is attachable on rifle, so its excellent piece for reenactment, for 40USD, matching E.Pack, h range. with all stamps and heavy blueing, the profile are not so bad, it looks better as other replicas.

repop

Must be something difficult to match about the lower scabbard shape. Most (or all) of the reproductions I have seen have poorly shaped scabbards.

I have actually never seen a repro that was close to original. It might be cheaper to buy an original than to reproduce original quality.

Military Rifle Journal
Back