Third Party Press

How to identify the authenticity of paperwork on WW2 pistol

Doc308

How do you confirm the authenticity of a certificate of a WW2 bring back for a firearm? This is completely new to me. What should I look for and what are the red flags? I'm looking at a pistol for sale with a certificate and I want to know if it's legit or not.

I wish it was a black and white issue but there are a bunch of different types of paperwork and a ton of different types of fakery that could occur.

Posting photos is your best option.

I was thinking that this was a huge can of worms.

Presume fake until expert opinion says other wise. Post mucho pictures, include context.

I was thinking that this was a huge can of worms.

Presume fake until expert opinion says other wise. Post mucho pictures, include context.
My thoughts were the same. I just upgraded my computer and I can't remember how to snip a pic on a Macbook. It's on GB, I'll just share the link. That will be easier.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840647588

I currently have a P37 jhv that was passed down in my family, this one just caught my eye, but I'm not familiar with the paperwork/certificates. The price seems high on this but to my understanding, there weren't too many of these made before the jhv version.

Even though the photos are not best, looks good to me. Names check out. The signing officer is a really distinct name that checks out. That being said, I am not sure how much the paper really adds to this piece value wise.

The description of the pistol is quite specific compared to other capture papers I've seen that describe the gun in elaborate detail such as "one Jap pistol." LOL

The description of the pistol is quite specific compared to other capture papers I've seen that describe the gun in elaborate detail such as "one Jap pistol." LOL
With that kind of detail, I would probably buy it just for the humor.

A lot of times they just wrote what they saw on the gun on the paper, as is the case here. You get some really bizzare names on some of the not so common pistols like Radoms and stuff. Seen them described as revolvers etc.

Here are two, original copies of the authorization document for a P.38 rig I got last year. Pistol was a matching byf43 outfitted in a hardshell P.38 holster marked "cww 1942". Pistol came with a E/135 accepted mag. Spare mag was E/359 accepted. Inside the holster lid was marked two pistol serial numbers (one the byf 43), a stamped blue ink marking to a German Regt. and the USGI's last name (Knoop) written twice. Even more interesting was me finding a torn piece of a K-ration box, stuffed into the toe of the holster, marked (of course) "Knoop". Lastly, there were three rounds of German 9x19 as well. Got this from one of my favorite local "pickers" within a day of him acquiring it at a yard sale by the deceased Vet's family. No one was able to say what happened to the camera, which was also listed on the documents. I thought the G.I., having been a member of the 325th Glider Regiment, enhanced the rig even more...

Attachments

• USGI AuthCpy1.JPG
    USGI AuthCpy1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 25
  • USGI AuthCpy2.JPG
    USGI AuthCpy2.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
  • USGI BBK P38 Hol.JPG
    USGI BBK P38 Hol.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal