Third Party Press
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Danzig Gewehr 98m Reworked in 1939?

I agree. It really does seem like it was reworked towards the end of the 30’s my guess would be 1937, then again in 1940. Overall i really think this rifle has taught me alot. Im just wondering if i can maybe find a faint HZa marking, or if the wing that i found on the grip was the HZa depot marking, its hard to tell. I really would like to learn more about the history of these rifles, as they have seen so much history. I think that the wing that i found “was” the depot marking, but it was poorly stricken, faded and eventually lost almost entirely

I can't make out or see any part of the marking within the circle, but "generally" the acceptance would be more centered along the area where the trigger guard lines up, it can be off to one side or another or lower on the rounded area, or almost anywhere along the lower edge of the buttstock, also very common on the sides of the buttstock, but the Germans weren't French or Italians, they were pretty rigid and predictable within their patterns. Mostly the differences are a product of time, place and the individual (and his circumstances), but the guidelines seem to be generally adhered too.

That it is very difficult to find means it probably has worn away or weakly struck and would add little to the value.. the rifle looks in great condition too, which makes it all the more unusual (often these rifles are beat up or mismatchers and its more understandable the markings are gone or indecipherable...) Had it been clearly identifiable, especially if it identified both depots, the value would have been higher, but there is little doubt this is authentic, - these are not valuable enough to entice the best humpers to "create" or "enhance" them. They prefer the big game, the German pistols and variations of the 98k and perhaps some work the Imperial angles (where it is easier and sometime profitable - its is far easier to "enhance" a G98 than a 98k or Republican era rework.. it is common practice for collectors to parts swap to "match" up small mismatched parts, the study of acceptance patterns among Imperial era arms is far more work than numeric waffenamts...)

I took her outside (better light) would've done it earlier but it was raining for 3 days in SC. I didn't find an LK5 stamp, or a depot stamp unfortunately. infact i didnt even find an indentation where it should be. No idea why, but maybe the whole thing was just assembled in one place, with parts that were leftover? would make sense as to why some parts are of earlier manufacture, but still i would expect a depot stamp but I don't know. maybe one day someone will find a rifle similar to mine, and comparisons can be made