Third Party Press

Danzig Gewehr 98m Reworked in 1939?

Rutche

I bought a Gewehr 98m yesterday and noticed a Nazi Era Stamp on the Barrel aswell as a Circle EE, a 107/39 and Dö. i think the indicates a 1939 reworked Erma barrel, because it also has the 0.2 stamp on the ring. All numbers seem to match. Any more Information would be greatly appreciated

IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg

I cannot attach more photos, i have them here on Tumblr: https://rutche.tumblr.com/post/188641654957

Last edited:
Definitely Nazi rebarreled. It's a Döhlen blank finished in 1939 in Berlin I believe. I think e/280 was still there? I'm not familiar with the EE in the oval but I bet someone is. 0,2 is a sure sign of an ordinance barrel with 7,91 the final fitting.

I believe that the circle EE is indicative of ERMA fabrik in Erfurt i could be mistaken though. i find it interesting as to why the Nazi's wanted the rifle re-barreled, one would think that they would just replace it with a K98.

..ERMA fabrik in Erfurt

Yup I'm retarded. I even own a couple loaded with e/280. Go figure. I'm thinkin because they were thrifty. It was already reworked to modern configuration and then rebarreled a few years later.

I know that stock marking with the heavy H but after that earlier fiasco I'll pass on guessing off the cuff.

ERMA didn't do the re-barrel, this is simply a ERMA made ordnance spare used by a depot. 1939 dated barrel is related to the steel lot, not necessarily the date the barrel was finished (and certainly not the date it was installed)

The who, when and where, to the extent it could be known, depends upon more pictures. Specifically of the stock, the lower wrist, or lower buttstock is commonly marked. Often the sides of the buttstock also, this is mpre common in the Republican era, but the NS era also sees this. Really, try to closely scan the whole back end of the stock for acceptance stamps, they can be small and worn, but are most common at the wrist or lower buttstock. Naturally, this rifle could have gone through more than one depot, the barrel obviously not installed before 1939 (but could anytime after, though serialed to the rifle means probably earlier than very late... most of these were done 1941-1942, though a G98 has a higher probability of earlier work than a 98k.

I assume this is a G98 length barrel? ERMA was one of the few who made them this late, but this could also be a 98k length barrel as this code range fits both variants.

ERMA made a lot of barrels for the depots....

Thank you for the Help, Yes it is a Gewehr 98 Length Barrel. On the left side of the stock i have seen an Eagle over H, above it is a Nazi Eagle Stamp and, on the bottom is an eagle Waffenamt WaA4, above that is another nazi stamp, and a 9118. There is also a very hard to read maybe a crown stamp? on the bottom back of the stock

IMG_2077[1].jpg
IMG_2079[1].jpg

Last edited:
The stock is also an ordnance spare, made by BSW for the depots. The WaA/4 over BSW is clearly seen. BSW was pretty much the only one that made spare parts late for the G98, other than barrels anyway. They also made RS components and G98 style band springs, probably the rest of the G98 specific parts needed by depots to overhaul a damaged G98 without a conversion.

There should be a eagles acceptance somewhere, probably at the wrist, if not then it is worn away. Definitely legit though, just the acceptance is the only way to identify the depot that did the work.

Thats awesome to hear, yea kind of wondering why i cannot find that eagle on the wrist, ill post a picture of the wrist.
Does the Eagle over H stock marking indicate use during WW1, or was this a universal stamp that came after the War?
Off topic a little bit, my Rifle came with a sling, it has some faded stamps on it, and i wanted to see if maybe you knew what they say, or could confirm if the sling is legit?

IMG_2081[1].jpg

No BSW was created in 1933 I believe, basically after Simson was placed under state supervision and received a state controller. Arthur remained free and at the company for a time, still the owner in name, though he was charged with capital crimes of cheating the government. Later he would sell out to avoid prison (and death) and escaped to Switzerland with his brother (later France and then the US - only wealthy and well-connected Jews escaped, or for that matter any political opponent... Hitler had a lot of enemies, real and perceived, those with enough money or good connections got out, including former Chancellors like Brüning, he had really powerful foreign friends and was smart escape... many with more character died staying).

This receiver served in WWI, the rifle probably was hidden for a time, possibly used between the wars in training or such, but a 1915 could have simply been hidden with a bad barrel and when pulled out re-barreled. Germany hid thousands of rifles after the war, this was just one of them. During the rework it received the barrel and stock, both are 1930's vintage, the barrel possibly 19139-1940. The NS eagle on the stock could be useful to dating the work, I would have to do some comparisons with other BSW G98 stocks to see how they are marked. Not uncommon to see a BSW stocked G98, though again commercial makers did not generally do reworks, this is all depot work. I would closely go over the stock for a weakly struck or worn acceptance, if found it could add hundreds to the value. Only wrist and buttstock would be marked with such acceptance but it could be anywhere.

Thats awesome to hear, yea kind of wondering why i cannot find that eagle on the wrist, ill post a picture of the wrist.
Does the Eagle over H stock marking indicate use during WW1, or was this a universal stamp that came after the War?
Off topic a little bit, my Rifle came with a sling, it has some faded stamps on it, and i wanted to see if maybe you knew what they say, or could confirm if the sling is legit?

View attachment 219529

Thank you, do you know where i could find a link to what that depot stamp that i am looking for would look like, and could it perhaps be in the stock under the barrel or receiver?

A very cool rifle have to say I really do like this Gew98m rifles plus the same type of rifles that have been through the depots as well. I find the research on these quite interesting. Still much to learn.

Please post some pictures of your sling when you get a chance.

I know the K98k gets the most attention as the main service rifle for the German military but the older Gew98m soldiered on and I have plenty of pictures in my collection showing it.

Attachments

• Sailer with Gew98m rifle.jpeg
    Sailer with Gew98m rifle.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Soldiers with Gew98m rifles.jpeg
    Soldiers with Gew98m rifles.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Soldier sleeping next to Gew98m.jpeg
    Soldier sleeping next to Gew98m.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 76
  • German squad with Gew98m rifles.jpeg
    German squad with Gew98m rifles.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 74
I'll see if i can get some sling pictures tomorrow afternoon, i really love this rifle, and the pictures that you sent really gives us a deep appreciation for them Thank You!

..closely go over the stock for a weakly struck or worn acceptance, if found it could add hundreds to the value. Only wrist and buttstock would be marked with such acceptance but it could be anywhere.

Thinking this might be it? My bad paint skillz dork it up but I think the green is the eagle. Can't see what underneath it but maybe you can?

wrist.jpg

Yes, this is the nazi Acceptance mark, below that is the waffenamt WaA4, if this is what i was searching for, then i must’ve found it, and overlooked it.
This might be a better picture

62770bbfd876d02ab2dd1d9b7a0bc8fe.jpg

651115b5e255f36e643baf30064c0ada.jpg

There is also an eagle stamp on the right side of the Stock,near the bolt takedown hole

Last edited:
No, I saw the small NS eagle over the E/H, though I was thinking the combination might prove some use in identifying the maker (depot). BSW stocks have the BSW and E/WaA4 along the lower buttstock (as here) but absent are other markings. The purpose is simply to identify the maker of the stand alone stock in the ordnance system. These markings on the side of the buttstock were applied by the depot, probably, possibly together but difficult to say. I do not trend BSW stocks directly, nor are they given a specified folder to search through, so to compare to others i would have to sort through thousands of folders... I do remember MikeF owning a DWM/18 (1202/b), he created a thread on the rifle in this forum, a search probably would pull up the rifle, it has a BSW stock but lacks the RS eagles and has the appropriate acceptance at the wrist.

All I can say really is that this rifle is probably fairly early, late 1930's, the dual eagles on the RS is very odd, probably a larger facility, maybe Spandau, or a subsequent application. Problem is I do not have a readily available means to make comparisons with other BSW stocks, while fairly common they are quite impossible to randomly search for amongst thousands of rifle reports. It could be that BSW marked the little nazi eagle at these two place and the E/H was added at the RS when installed, - I am suggesting that BSW made these stocks over a period of time and marking methods evolved and this pattern is just not remembered. It is common for marking patterns to evolve on ordnance spares, your Erfurt barrel pattern evolved a number of times over the years...

Anyway, short of sorting though rifles randomly hunting for potential comparisons this will have to be a mystery unless the OP can discover a HZa stamp somewhere. Then we could do comparisons of rifles from that HZa.

On closer inspection, there is a small stamp underneath the waffenamt,i dont know what it is exactly

13508d9fada68dda459178c4828b1cd6.jpg

Looks almost like it starts with a B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back