Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1886 Steyr Cavalry Carbine

Default 1886 Steyr Cavalry Carbine

Big thank you to Pzjgr for finding this one for me! Iím at work Saturday and Mike gives me a heads up on an 1886 Steyr walking around the show, and asks if I would be interested. I said probably not right now unless it happens to be one of the short rifles, well it wasnít, but in talking to the gentleman, he just so happened to have one ďwith a bent boltĒ in the trunk of his car, okay, now youíve got my attention. I always thought the short carbine was a very neat version so Iím very happy to have this!

There is just not a lot of info out there on these, so Iím hoping someone may have some insight on it. It appears appropriately 4K were made, with most or all? having been reworked. The bolt doesnít match, nor do the barrel bands, which seems to be a rather common occurrence on them from the limited examples Iíve been able to look at. All I have seen appear sanded, which after seeing this one in hand seems to have been done at the time of rework, if you notice the weak stock markings over the majority of the rifle, but flipping it over the keel shows a smattering of sharp inspections. Mike was able to determine they were reworked from their original configuration by eliminating both the lower and upper sling swivels, youíll notice the lower is filled in. Beyond that we werenít able to figure out a whole lot of anything on these, so Iím hoping someone else knows about them.

One comparison shot for relative size

All I know is this is pretty freaking cool.. I know next to nothing about them, only what is in John Walter's book... I will ask SamN whether he can add to the discussion regarding the carbine. He is the foremost ÷WG collector I know of, especially anything pre-1919.

Yeah, this one was hard to let go, it is so damned cool...but I am glad Clay has it...at least I can visit it.

The first gun the guy had was the Infantry Carbine version, slightly longer than this, not as long as the rifle, straight bolt. BUT it was all matching, and unsanded...I may have to call him up and snag that one, unless Clay is going to build a collection of all three variants!

He also has about 10 other "old military rifles" he is looking to sell. We had a nice talk, and he likes the idea of selling them to someone who really loves this old crap...I told him Clay and I are those guys. I am hoping a matching G29/40 is in the pile...

We are hoping to visit hi next week...

ETA I thought it was cool the gun is s/n 704, early gun!

I did not know they were that hard to find . I have one each of the long , med and short . I picked them up about 20 years ago , all three with in a month of each other . I have not had them out in a long time , have been meaning to try some " new " bullets that were not around the last time I shot them .

I'll say it again Clay-- pretty freaking cool! Glad you got it. I know next to nothing about these, but they look great.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Nice carbine, didn't know they were so rare. Is that thing semi smokeless or black powder?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    All I know is this is pretty freaking cool.. I know next to nothing about them, only what is in John Walter's book
    Thanks for breaking that ice. I see someone else has also. I wanted to comment but don't know anything about these. I like the comparison photo showing the size and style vs. other rifles. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to further discussion!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"

No clue on the powder, that’s why I posted it here looking for info. I was always under the impression the production figures were low for this model, the longer ones not so much, or do you believe I’m mistaken in that?

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    No clue on the powder, thatís why I posted it here looking for info. I was always under the impression the production figures were low for this model, the longer ones not so much, or do you believe Iím mistaken in that?
    Like we discussed, from what little I could find, the production figures for these were between 4,000 and 4,500....like I said, not much out there on them, it seems...