Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese contract Vz-24

Mostly a japanese characters, should be deciphered by some japanese or other historians that known the language, i personally tend by similar non damaged or used rifles, that this is a real japanese 1939 contract. b.r.Andy

Nice vz24 as others have said already it looks original and in very nice shape. I have always wondered who the Japanese exactly issued these rifles to as all of these I have seen with definitive Japanese provenance are in a similar condition. By the way what did the Type 38 look like and what was the selling price of your vz24?
    THE CHATTER MARKS ON THE STOCK WILL DRIVE COLLECTORS INTO A FIT OF FRENZY.

I believe Pzjgr can now answer the Type38 question. By the time I got to the shop they had already priced it and I left very reasonably. This rifle is definitely very dusty, I literally could blow off a bunch of the dust after I took these pictures. Also the sling was that kind of untouched and dry that left brown dust on my jeans, mmmm closet rifles haha.

They were for IJN, Imperial Japanese Navy. The same as the “Type I” Carcanos. There is a picture of IJN troops drilling or marching with them in the Honeycutt Arisaka book. I believe there may be contract information to confirm this. Also, some of the anectdotal provenance is that the warehouse these came out of in the Phillippines was for IJN construction/ground troop supply. Not all IJN forces were Jap. marines (NLF). Most were not. They were construction, maintenance, and those without ships.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

That’s really neat, I presume they loaded their own 8mm or was it purchased as well I wonder?

They bought it I am sure. I have never seen Jap. made and issued 7.92. For some reason the IJN was outside of, or otherwise had reduced access to, the small arm supply chain of the IJA. Many of these islands, and areas of islands, were built up, fortified, and maintained by IJN work crews (like Seabees). When invasions came, these warm bodies were organized into fighting units and armed with what the IJN had. It's not like arming up a bunch of American Seabees from that period, most of whom at least had firearm / hunting experience. These IJN and Korean armed construction workers were pretty much human speed bumps, waiting to be killed.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945