Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about S/27 1937 K98k letter suffix/block

Default Question about S/27 1937 K98k letter suffix/block

Hello, I'm trying to work out an issue with a buyer of a K98k. Can anyone tell me what the letter is after the serial on the receiver and barrel? It appears the numbers match on the bolt but not the letter. It seemed impossible to me that an exactly matching numbers bolt from a different letter block ended up on the rifle but it appears so? The bolt letter looks like a d but I cant figure out the letter on receiver/barrel, those German lowercase letters are odd sometimes.

The middle k98k in the 1st pic is a russian capture the buyer is using as a "d" block example, top and bottom are the k98k in question

Ive attached a few pics, thanks for any comments/help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like old military rifles and pugs.

You have a b on the receiver/barrel and a d on the bolt.
    This is a piece that will be of extreme interest to any serious German Rifle collector.

Wow...I'm amazed that someone somewhere found a numbers matching bolt with a different letter suffix and paired it with this rifle. Thank you sir

It could be factory error. My first impression of the bolt with the pics you sent was that the numbers could be engraved. I bought an Ishapore SMLE recently and the pics of the bolt numbers and nose cone numbers looked completely humped. A next set of pics they did not. An exceptionally skilled humper with the proper dies could do a good job on a bolt flat. However, to also do the safety, FP, and cocking piece (particularly) is extremely difficult, and practically not possible in the event of wear and 75 years of age, getting it all right. The totality of that bolt leads me to the opinion that it is good. The switched suffix leads me to the opinion of factory error, between a B and D. They are close in the die tray and look similar. Hell, I didn't catch it looking at the pics you sent on my iphone. The chances of finding the proper bolt, same numbers, same wear, different suffix, are pretty much a longshot. I welcome correction and debate as that is what we do here
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Craig I can't tell. Have '35, '37, and '39 ERMAs to compare it to. If it were me I would buy it with a discount. My gut feeling is it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    Craig I can't tell. Have '35, '37, and '39 ERMAs to compare it to. If it were me I would buy it with a discount. My gut feeling is it's good.
    Tom, could you post a good shot of the bolt numbers on your 37? Here are nice shots of a '38 from our pic sticky ref. library section:
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....g-27-1938-nice

Why we have pic sticky reference. Compare an original 27 1938 to the subject S/27 1937 bolt and cocking piece numbers:
    s27 37 to 27 38.JPG cocking piece compare.JPG
    Last edited by Hambone; 11-03-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Sure. You can see the whole rifle here-

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ighlight=HWRLN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    Sure. You can see the whole rifle here-

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ighlight=HWRLN
    Thanks Tom, your rifle is now a pic sticky from that WTS ad. If you want to incorporate them into your own post with those pics instead of the WTS ad I'll use that as our pic sticky. We needed a S/27 1937.

The bolt numbers on the OP rifle are good IMHO. I think the d vs. b thing is factory error.

IMG_7706 - Copy.jpg20191026_123745-1494x2656.jpg
    Last edited by Hambone; 11-03-2019 at 06:37 PM.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    ..The bolt numbers on the OP rifle are good IMHO. I think the d vs. b thing is factory error.
    I have to agree with you. The fine/micro finish of the metal surface under the applied serial numbers have certain minute details that would be nearly impossible for even a skilled humper to replicate. You can see some of them in several of the other supplied photos of original rifles. Much like a fingerprint I don't find it surprising that these same details appear on the bolt in question.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Thanks everyone for clearing this up, it just made no sense to me that someone found an original numbers matching bolt from a later letter block and somehow paired it with this rifle, almost impossible. I've learned a hard lesson about properly vetting/studying a rifle before selling, had I simply worded it as a matching rifle with factory error bolt there would have been no issue with buyer.