Third Party Press

Front band help

CFC67

Help required please, I bought a repro front band for my Walther wood work believing it to be a good replacement (as per description listing elewhere) for the older repro that didn't fit. However, it appears that they are the same! Advice I was given was block it out with hard wood and soak and see when wood expands it'll stretch the metal or file/sand the inside to help it over the wood, that part I've yet to do. So, are they any more tips until I can find a real part please?
1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1g.jpg1f.jpg1i.jpg

Last edited:
If the band is a reproduction I would have no issues sanding it. How off is it? It may not need much work?

I would use the older band that has thicker metal. I’d use a Dremel tool and a grinding wheel. It shouldn’t be hard to grind enough to make it fit.

If the band is a reproduction I would have no issues sanding it. How off is it? It may not need much work?

Approx 1mm to be taken all round, poss a bit more. Although after doing the 24he soak it seemed to go a little further, but at that rate I'll be making new blocks for a good while! So, sanding time is coming....

I would use the older band that has thicker metal. I’d use a Dremel tool and a grinding wheel. It shouldn’t be hard to grind enough to make it fit.

Have those, so by the weekend I'll have yet another project.

You need to stretch/expand the metal. Take two sockets that make a tight fit inside the curvature of the barrel band. The barrel band has the shape of a 0 while the two sockets form a figure 8. Fill the gaps around the figure 8 with wood or metal pieces to resemble a figure 0. Take a kitchen knife and wedge it between the two sockets, spreading them apart. You'll need a hammer to drive the wedge down, expanding the barrel band in the process. That should do it. To fine fit the barrel band, clamp a piece of steel pipe horizontally into the vise, shove the barrel band over it and form it over the pipe with a plastic mallet. I've used this technique for a G41 barrel band and it worked perfectly.

You need to stretch/expand the metal. Take two sockets that make a tight fit inside the curvature of the barrel band. The barrel band has the shape of a 0 while the two sockets form a figure 8. Fill the gaps around the figure 8 with wood or metal pieces to resemble a figure 0. Take a kitchen knife and wedge it between the two sockets, spreading them apart. You'll need a hammer to drive the wedge down, expanding the barrel band in the process. That should do it. To fine fit the barrel band, clamp a piece of steel pipe horizontally into the vise, shove the barrel band over it and form it over the pipe with a plastic mallet. I've used this technique for a G41 barrel band and it worked perfectly.

Many thanks! Understand what to do and have those items :thumbsup:

:hail: Thanks for the hints & tips thus far, it'll be nice to actually have it completed... well, almost ;)

Update: The water and wood didn't work, the stretching of the metal using sockets and a wedge didn't work either and if I sand/file it then it'll be like rice paper. Just too small. So, the dust collecting money pit goes back in the corner till I can get an original or copy one..

Update: The water and wood didn't work, the stretching of the metal using sockets and a wedge didn't work either and if I sand/file it then it'll be like rice paper. Just too small. So, the dust collecting money pit goes back in the corner till I can get an original or copy one..

Who did you purchase the front band from?

Military Rifle Journal
Back