Third Party Press

Is this a scam seller?

I'd say yes, looks a lot like this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/843523846 Could be an item they bought from the seller though? The stock doesn't look the same, but there's definitely something whited out on the bottom left of the picture. Ask for obscure pictures in obscure varying lighting.. indoor first, then outdoor, etc.

As stated previous obscure photos.
Great advice.

I have been burned before, lots of us have and these are not cheap investments.

So here are Some ideas,
Ask for pics under the rear sight,
Interior of the stock looking at the recoil lug from the top
Barrel channel toward the butt, picture of the safety 1/2 engaged in the
90 degree position stuff like that.
Most of the scammers don’t have stuff like that.
Ask for a C&R license or FFL but don’t buy the story “ I moved so the address on the license is no Longer correct”. BS like that.
If no FFL ask for a pic of the rifle with the sellers drivers license lying on the stock next to the Serial number or somethin.
Verify on-line that the address exists and the owner on the license is at that property.
You can get lots of info on line.
If you purchase, have the seller use a brick and mortar store in their area to do the shipping for them. Some dealers will even handle the entire transaction.
Someone you can verify on line and make a phone call to. ( a phone call can go a long way when asking for assistance with the deal your tryin to make on a rifle that is not cheap).
Pay the dealer to do the shipping to your FFL or C&R.
Again, only send your $ to a verified address.

You can also ask the seller to move the add to gun broker with a buy now feature. G.B. I believe offers some protection for buyers.

Sucks ya have to do this kinda leg work but there are dirt bags out there.

I’m sure others here may have some suggestions too.

Last edited:
As stated previous obscure photos.
Great advice.

I have been burned before, lots of us have and these are not cheap investments.

So here are Some ideas,
Ask for pics under the rear sight,
Interior of the stock looking at the recoil lug from the top
Barrel channel toward the butt, picture of the safety 1/2 engaged in the
90 degree position stuff like that.
Most of the scammers don’t have stuff like that.
Ask for a C&R license or FFL but don’t buy the story “ I moved so the address on the license is no Longer correct”. BS like that.
If no FFL ask for a pic of the rifle with the sellers drivers license lying on the stock next to the Serial number or somethin.
Verify on-line that the address exists and the owner on the license is at that property.
You can get lots of info on line.
If you purchase, have the seller use a brick and mortar store in their area to do the shipping for them. Some dealers will even handle the entire transaction.
Someone you can verify on line and make a phone call to. ( a phone call can go a long way when asking for assistance with the deal your tryin to make on a rifle that is not cheap).
Pay the dealer to do the shipping to your FFL or C&R.
Again, only send your $ to a verified address.

You can also ask the seller to move the add to gun broker with a buy now feature. G.B. I believe offers some protection for buyers.

Sucks ya have to do this kinda leg work but there are dirt bags out there.

I’m sure others here may have some suggestions too.

A friend of mine had an almost 100 year old Harley for sale. Soon requests came in for pictures of the inside of the gas tank, the underside of the tank, other unusual locations etc.
All the right questions you would expect from a potential buyer who wants to weed out fishy sellers. Except, in this case the potential buyer was a scumbag, actually a master scumbag. He had copied all of my friend's pictures from my friend's ad and had created his own for sale ad online on different vintage motorcycle sites. His trick was to offer the motorcycle at a price below market value but not too cheap, with $5,000 down payment due if the potential buyer wanted him to take the ad down. When his potential buyers asked for specific pictures, the master scumbag came back and asked my friend for specific pictures. This went on for a couple days until a potential buyer emailed my friend and asked why this motorcycle was for sale both on the East and West coast. That's when my friend learned that all of his "specific" pictures had been requested by the master scumbag.
As you can see, the scammers are getting smarter.

With regards to Armslist, 100% of all sniper rifles for sale are scams, as are 95% of all G41/G43 ads. The majority of scammers are lazy fucks and don't even bother changing the descriptions they stole from Gunporker.com.
Here's an easy one:
https://www.armslist.com/posts/10486374/virginia-rifles-for-sale--rare-matching-ww2-german-k98-mauser-k98k-98k-1940

Now remember, scammers are lazy fucks, so Google search for the phrase "Second year of Gustloff production, these survived in VERY low numbers!" and voila:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831598956

Absolutely agree. Most of the scammers are real lazy so searching on a specific string in the description will often land you the original listing elsewhere. I helped a friend avoid a scammer this past weekend doing exactly this.

Military Rifle Journal
Back