Third Party Press

WTK: 1937 Sauer 98

md66948

I am curious about this 1937 Sauer Mauser. I only had a minute to look at it. The serial numbers match on the metal. I did not inspect the stock and the butt plate is missing. I know there is not enough in these photos to evaluate the price but the bore is Great and the metal is dirty. It needs a good cleaning. I was told this was a GI Bring Back. It is in a large estate auction.

What do you think its value is? I may put a bid on it at an auction.

If the rest of the rifle looks like that I’d throw 2k at it all day, less after any kind of cleaning

The stock should be profusely inspected and numbered externally. Every part should be numbered including the screws. A missing buttplate means a mismatched part will need to replace it. Make sure a missing buttplate doesn’t mean Bubba installed a rubber buttpad at some point and idiotically cut or messed with the wood. I’d be careful getting into high dollar territory unless you can see and understand what you’re getting into.

The stock should be profusely inspected and numbered externally. Every part should be numbered including the screws. A missing buttplate means a mismatched part will need to replace it. Make sure a missing buttplate doesn’t mean Bubba installed a rubber buttpad at some point and idiotically cut or messed with the wood. I’d be careful getting into high dollar territory unless you can see and understand what you’re getting into.

Thank You!

there was no rubber butt plate/pad installed.

if I get it I will post pics.

This is incredibly important to keep in mind... if you do not have an in-depth understanding of these rifles, do not go anywhere near $1000. All the numbers matching on metal is not a meaningful description, that could mean anything, there are different forms of matching, factory through the various forms of reworking and there is credible work (enough to fool a beginner) done by humpers or "scabblers" (professional parts-smiths who assemble "matching" rifles from loose parts).

Further the stock is half a rifles value, it is probably the single most important part; whether it has been sanded is incredibly important, so too that its acceptance pattern and serialing is intact. If the stock is mismatched or has a serious problem this rifle is best avoided even at a "good" price. It is easy to pay too much for a lesser rifle, plenty of people will help you out with that, that it is missing a buttplate suggests there is more to this rifles history (problems enjoy company and most rifles with one significant problem have another, - or others..)

I’d be careful getting into high dollar territory unless you can see and understand what you’re getting into.

This is incredibly important to keep in mind... if you do not have an in-depth understanding of these rifles, do not go anywhere near $1000. All the numbers matching on metal is not a meaningful description, that could mean anything, there are different forms of matching, factory through the various forms of reworking and there is credible work (enough to fool a beginner) done by humpers or "scabblers" (professional parts-smiths who assemble "matching" rifles from loose parts).

Further the stock is half a rifles value, it is probably the single most important part; whether it has been sanded is incredibly important, so too that its acceptance pattern and serialing is intact. If the stock is mismatched or has a serious problem this rifle is best avoided even at a "good" price. It is easy to pay too much for a lesser rifle, plenty of people will help you out with that, that it is missing a buttplate suggests there is more to this rifles history (problems enjoy company and most rifles with one significant problem have another, - or others..)

Thank You!

I just walked in the door with it. I never post pics of a weapon before I clean it but I am doing it this time. All numbers are match, it just needs a butt plate.

Looks great, and it doesn't look like it needs much if any cleaning up...I wouldn't touch it, really...looking forward to more detailed pics!

That stock is gorgeous...

Gorgeous rifle. I hope cleaning only means a light coat of ballisol or CLP on the metal.

I’ve never used it but I’ve heard guys mention CLP collector, not sure what the formulation is on that but the standard stuff has solvents in it. I personally use only ballistol, it’s even suggested for feet lol:

Attachments

• 351AA1F7-4FB5-4F1D-AA5B-3E45AA2E6DAB.jpeg
    351AA1F7-4FB5-4F1D-AA5B-3E45AA2E6DAB.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 21
Congrats, as the guys said, leave it be. Light wipe of ballistol and that’s it. Start scrubbing on it and it’s historical vandalism.

Military Rifle Journal
Back