Third Party Press

Kar 88 VCS 1891

runner

Not a lot of data here neither the bolt or the stock are matching to the carbine. The stock is one of the new made ones from Poland.
The seller was very clear and there were no numbers stamped inside the stock. But with proper aging, I could see these starting to turn up
as original. Hope the receiver acceptance are of some use to those who research these.
Also, can anyone translate the unit markings for me.

thank, runner

Buddy did not feel this shoot was worthy of his expertise, so he decided to set this one out.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0109.jpg
    DSC_0109.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 22
Possibly munitions column for artillery, not great with these but seems to read that way from a quickie through Jeff's book. Someone will be able to tighten it up for you, several good interpreters frequent here..

Can you do the top receiver and a clearer shot of the RR, I would like to add it to the research thread we have going here, - it is a meager little project as so few have been trended, only two VCS from 1891, though some 90/91 also exist. I can't be sure of the RR on your rifle, but it differs from the c-block also recorded, but that is not unusual. Would like to get the receiver data correct though. Does the band match the receiver serial (88)? I add them when they do, but exclude when they m/m.

I see your dog (buddy) is getting up there in age, we have several ourselves, we keep losing them every year or two, always hard when they get older and have problems... they are wonderful companions and truly best of friends, but it is difficult losing them, I never get use to it...

more pictures

The photo of the band is a little fuzzy , but it is numbered matching. Sorry for the hurried photos, but this one is going to the gunshow tonight and I wanted to capture any data that might be helpful while I could.
Actually all the metal on the carbine is matching except the bolt, which matches itself and the stock recoil lug.

I just picked up an all matching Kar 88 Erfurt 1893 that is deserving of a proper photo shoot when I get the time to tear it down.

Appreciate the kind words about Buddy, he is 13 1/2 years old, has had one cancer surgery and the Vet says another is not an option. He still gets around well, eats good, and show no signs of pain, so we take it one day at a time.

Attachments

• DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0117.jpg
    DSC_0117.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0118.jpg
    DSC_0118.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0124.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 19
Is the top of the receiver only "S" marked, or is there other markings?

I corrected the report in the research thread, got the serial wrong, 88 instead of 38, but the RR was guessed right. Some diversity here.. so few recorded that conclusions can't even be guessed at yet. The K88 and G91 research threads are the most disappointing projects underway. I just do not come across many and so few bother to report them.

Keep up the good fight with Buddy, the struggle is worth every minute if they can get around and can be aroused by curiosity! We have a female about the same age, sounds like the same shape but no cancer, - there is little that is bad in her nature, other than a little too much of a rule bender in her youth (in the wilds it can be dangerous and she was a wanderer... more than once I had to go round her up...). Anyway, she is an angel these days.

Is the top of the receiver only "S" marked, or is there other markings?

I corrected the report in the research thread, got the serial wrong, 88 instead of 38, but the RR was guessed right. Some diversity here.. so few recorded that conclusions can't even be guessed at yet. The K88 and G91 research threads are the most disappointing projects underway. I just do not come across many and so few bother to report them.

Keep up the good fight with Buddy, the struggle is worth every minute if they can get around and can be aroused by curiosity! We have a female about the same age, sounds like the same shape but no cancer, - there is little that is bad in her nature, other than a little too much of a rule bender in her youth (in the wilds it can be dangerous and she was a wanderer... more than once I had to go round her up...). Anyway, she is an angel these days.

The top of the receiver is only "S" marked, no punch like I have seen on others, and no other markings other than maker and date.

All the dot means is the barrel nut was resoldered with the reinforced solder . That was done when the barrel shroud was removed for work . So your rifle probably has not had the shroud off of it in German service .

Sorry for a small correction, I see:

1. Artillerie-Munitionskolonne, XVI. Armeekorps, Waffe Nr. 43

hope this is ok.

Regards Peter

Military Rifle Journal
Back