Third Party Press

ZF41 Scope Cans

Please compare your can with the can shown by sauer in #9, 3rd photo.

That's great! Thanks very much. I just learned something. I just figured that was like a capture mark or something else. Kind of forgot about it.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 40
That's great! Thanks very much. I just learned something. I just figured that was like a capture mark or something else. Kind of forgot about it.

All the early cans with leather belt loop I've seen so far, have this stamp.

All the early cans with leather belt loop I've seen so far, have this stamp.

I have only seen two early cans now. Sauer's can and mine. Really appreciate you pointing that out. I had kind of forgot about that WM in square mark as I had never seen it before. Actually it looked like two XX's in a box. I did not make the connection with JVB.

I have only seen two early cans now. Sauer's can and mine. Really appreciate you pointing that out. I had kind of forgot about that WM in square mark as I had never seen it before. Actually it looked like two XX's in a box. I did not make the connection with JVB.

Yes, it looks like XX, but when you have a close look, you can see a gap between the upper and the lower part of the X.
The company used that stamp also on their silver ornamental clasps for furniture.

Another late contribution:

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4104.jpg
    IMG_4104.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 20
Amberg, that is great new info about the markings on early cans.

Slash, very nice late tan can. I believe this is the last variation with the D ring latch, and of course being tan.

Another important thing the mention is the use of tan paint late. Collectors always assume that if something is tan that it was used in Africa. This is not the case. Most tan stuff such as binoculars, scope cans, and grenades are all late.

Another important thing the mention is the use of tan paint late. Collectors always assume that if something is tan that it was used in Africa. This is not the case. Most tan stuff such as binoculars, scope cans, and grenades are all late.

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially as a binocular collector, to see anything and everything with tan paint erroneously attributed to the "Afrika Corps", it's just silly. By 1943 tan was in use on all types of military equipment. I am pretty sure the "Afrika" paint hue was a different RAL color anyway.

It can be a product of narrow collecting focus, some guys do not look at the "big picture" to see other equipment to understand how widespread use of dunklegelb was.

Rant over.

Jeff

Now, what is the difference between a ZF41 scope can (for Zf41 and ZF41/1) and a can for the ZF40 (for ZF40 and ZF40+) ??
Thanks

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially as a binocular collector, to see anything and everything with tan paint erroneously attributed to the "Afrika Corps", it's just silly. By 1943 tan was in use on all types of military equipment. I am pretty sure the "Afrika" paint hue was a different RAL color anyway. It can be a product of narrow collecting focus, some guys do not look at the "big picture" to see other equipment to understand how widespread use of dunklegelb was.

Rant over. Jeff

I'm with you guys. Big pet peeve of mine's well. Along with the guys that call all web bayonet frogs "Afrika Corps." Drives me nuts ......

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially as a binocular collector, to see anything and everything with tan paint erroneously attributed to the "Afrika Corps", it's just silly. By 1943 tan was in use on all types of military equipment. I am pretty sure the "Afrika" paint hue was a different RAL color anyway.

It can be a product of narrow collecting focus, some guys do not look at the "big picture" to see other equipment to understand how widespread use of dunklegelb was.

Rant over.

Jeff

Here you can find a list of the different shades of tan used:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?30610-My-complete-or-rare-RG34-kits/page11

Military Rifle Journal
Back