Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS 420 Questions

Default MS 420 Questions

Hello. New member, first post. I recently acquired a MS420. It has been rode hard and put up wet, but I like it. With the help of members here, I am hoping for answers to a couple of questions. I have spent hours on line, can't find a copy of Jon Speeds book, without answers to the two questions: What year was it manufactured and why does it have a third swing swivel on the barrel like the MS 410? All parts have matching serial numbers, including the receiver, barrel and the stock. Proof stamps are the trio of B, U and G. Many thanks in advance, Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

An overall picture of both sides would be helpful so we can see all three sling swivels.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkerswede View Post
    An overall picture of both sides would be helpful so we can see all three sling swivels.
    As requested. Thanks, Al

Welcome hirsca:

I am not too far from you (in Texas terms). This is an early Ms420 built before 1930. This one is about midway in the first serial number block (approximately 30,000 to 56,500, then 100,000 to 106,500).I would take it apart and scrub it using some oil/lubricant using something like Big 45 Metal and get all that rust scale off of it. Looks pretty nice overall and should look a lot better with a good cleaning.

As for the three sling swivels, that's a little puzzling. Should have one underneath the buttstock and one toward the front of the stock. The swivel on the barrel looks like an Mm410 swivel which is soldered onto the underside of the barrel. Does it look like its been put on by someone or does it look factory?

Does the stock have the Mauser logo on the right side? Best. dj

Thanks for the info dj. The swivel on the barrel is a factory addition and looking a the placement of the swivels on the 410, it is spot on with its placement. Yes, there is the Mauser logo on the stock. My brother works at Jackson Armory here in Dallas and is going to tutor me on what materials to use for removing the rust (e.g. stainless steel wool instead of the regular steel wool). Is there any way to determine the exact year of manufacture? Does Speed's book have that kind of detail? Thanks again for your help.

P.S. Are you the same dj that was a fellow Tonkin Gulf sailor during the Viet Nam War?

Al

Jon's book doesn't narrow the serial number down anymore than the date posted. I have a couple of his other books that may have more information. Its always possible that the extra sling swivel on the barrel was an option the owner paid to have put on. And no, I was not in the Tonkin Gulf (just very slightly before my time).

I use CLP, wet the metal pretty good and scrub away. I use Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner. Looks like a fire-blued Brillo pad. If you use the right material, it won't scratch the metal and will take all the rust off. Just scrub a little, then wipe off. Repeat until its clean. I think it will look pretty decent when you are finished. Do you have the magazine for it?

OK, if you ever can determine what year my 420 was made, please let me know. I would appreciate it very much. Thanks again for the cleaning tips.

Al

Hey Al, bout time you found us here!

You won't find a group of more knowledgeable guys about German rifles than here!

See you after Thanksgiving?

Mike

Hi Mike. Yes, we will be there. Just started to work on cleaning up the rifle. I'll bring it. I have spent a lot of time researching the rifle on this forum and I am so impressed with the knowledge and expertise. See you then. Hi to Mikey.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Parkerswede View Post
    Jon's book doesn't narrow the serial number down anymore than the date posted. I have a couple of his other books that may have more information. Its always possible that the extra sling swivel on the barrel was an option the owner paid to have put on. And no, I was not in the Tonkin Gulf (just very slightly before my time).

I use CLP, wet the metal pretty good and scrub away. I use Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner. Looks like a fire-blued Brillo pad. If you use the right material, it won't scratch the metal and will take all the rust off. Just scrub a little, then wipe off. Repeat until its clean. I think it will look pretty decent when you are finished. Do you have the magazine for it?
    Sorrt for the late reply. Unfortunately, no, I do not have the magazine. I'll have it at the Dallas Market Hall gun show this weekend, albeit not for sale. Row C, tables 16 & 17.

Thanks, Al