Third Party Press

BW Wachbatallion armed with 98k (2019)

GEM

An interesting picture of the Bundeswehr Wachbatallion ceremonial unit carrying 98k rifles. The picture is attached to a news article on current German defense issues. Unit is a composite unit with army, navy and air force members. Performs similar ceremonial functions as the US Army Old Guard.

Published picture caption: “Members of the honor guard parade during a swearing-in ceremony of new recruits of German Bundeswehr soldiers at the German Defence Ministry in Berlin, on July 20, 2019 | John MacDougall/AFP via Getty Images”

Significance of ceremony date: On 20 July 1944, Claus von Stauffenberg and other conspirators attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler,

Attachments

• 15734779321215694479687177661711.jpg
    15734779321215694479687177661711.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Bet they ground off the eagle/swastika from the guns.

Along the same vein, I wonder where they come from.. doubtful they would use Russian captures or anything of the sort but are that many originals just laying around there? The metal finish looks very dark in the pic, reminds me of RCs.

One reference indicates all of the 3rd Reich markings were removed in 1995 because of objections by politicians.

I found several pictures of Bundeswehr troops with 98k that date from the rearmament in 1955 and quite a few of the Bundesgrenzschutz (Federal Border Force) more or less fully equipped with Wehrmacht equipment including 98k and MG42. I expect that these weapons were provided by the allies from captured stocks and that the ones shown in the current pictures are from that time. All of the current pictures that I have found look like the rifles have been heavily refinished with possibly new made stocks. I suspect that, from a collectors point of view, the condition isn't great. The only interest is that they are still carried at all by modern military force.

Military Rifle Journal
Back