Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful walnut byf 43 - thanks Soldaten!

Default Beautiful walnut byf 43 - thanks Soldaten!

Well, here she is. Very happy with it! Such a beautiful rifle. Just looking for a front sight hood for it. If anyone has one, please let me know!

Another couple of photos that wouldn't fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zeppelin5000; 12-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Thumbs up

That's "rull purdy" as some of the folk out here would say. Great score!
    "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse."

Do a picture of the bolt acceptance (lower flat - FN or e/135, most are FN); also is the buttplate externally subcontractor marked; lastly does the RR have a waffenamt?

This is the kind of walnut I can get behind! Very crisp wood and a healthy amount of wear on the metal, it looks great. It has that used but far from abused look, very nice score.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Do a picture of the bolt acceptance (lower flat - FN or e/135, most are FN); also is the buttplate externally subcontractor marked; lastly does the RR have a waffenamt?
    I'll have to double check the bolt tonight and take a photo. I know it does have the large eagle/swastika on the back of the bolt root.

No subcontractor markings on the buttplate, and no waffenamts on the right side if the receiver.

Thanks, for whatever reason the RR waffenamt is intermittent, but starting in the c-block become more common, later it become normal (standard). Unfortunately, many do not take a picture of the RR if it is blank, so in those cases one has to guess, but in most such cases it is probably absent.

The bolt is probably FN, but it is possible WMO; there are probably 10 FN for every e/135, but most do not show the bolt body waffenamt. BP are usually blank (externally) but can be one of the three most common when they are externally marked. When you had the BP off did you notice an ordnance code and or waffenamt stamped inside the CBP? Grossfuss often ink stamps them inside, at the moment I am unsure if these unmarked (externally) are WMO in-house or just Grossfuss CBP that lack an external ordnance code. WMO and DWM were very capable of making them, they were leaders in stamping technology (not that you would need to be an expert to make CBP), but I half suspect WMO didn't make their own CBP and these are mostly Grossfuss or another Döbeln firm... if they lack a waffenamt and ordnance code they would be WMO made (internal components typically lack such ordnance codes, and often waffenamts, especially for non-critical components like a CBP)

Really sweet! Although I have a question, whats the deal with the backside of the rear sight? It looks really strange in the pic of it, almost like it was checkered...maybe its just the pic though...

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Really sweet! Although I have a question, whats the deal with the backside of the rear sight? It looks really strange in the pic of it, almost like it was checkered...maybe its just the pic though...
    Probably from laying in the bottom of a bluing tray. I've seen other parts with similar inclusions, Pistols too.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Haha yeah, it’s just the pic. The rear of the sight is smooth, it’s just the lighting of the photo. It’s from the bluing being a bit worn. Maybe this photo shows it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images