Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Beautiful walnut byf 43 - thanks Soldaten!

  1. #11
    Senior Member Zeppelin5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Probably from laying in the bottom of a bluing tray. I've seen other parts with similar inclusions, Pistols too.
    Makes sense!

  2. #12
    Senior Member Zeppelin5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Thanks, for whatever reason the RR waffenamt is intermittent, but starting in the c-block become more common, later it become normal (standard). Unfortunately, many do not take a picture of the RR if it is blank, so in those cases one has to guess, but in most such cases it is probably absent.

    The bolt is probably FN, but it is possible WMO; there are probably 10 FN for every e/135, but most do not show the bolt body waffenamt. BP are usually blank (externally) but can be one of the three most common when they are externally marked. When you had the BP off did you notice an ordnance code and or waffenamt stamped inside the CBP? Grossfuss often ink stamps them inside, at the moment I am unsure if these unmarked (externally) are WMO in-house or just Grossfuss CBP that lack an external ordnance code. WMO and DWM were very capable of making them, they were leaders in stamping technology (not that you would need to be an expert to make CBP), but I half suspect WMO didn't make their own CBP and these are mostly Grossfuss or another Döbeln firm... if they lack a waffenamt and ordnance code they would be WMO made (internal components typically lack such ordnance codes, and often waffenamts, especially for non-critical components like a CBP)
    Good info Loewe. Here are a couple of photos of the bolt body. I don't see any markings other than these in the photos. From my understanding, FN supplied bolts should have an MI on the rear locking lug, correct?

    The buttplate has no ink stamps in it, but has the typical red paint. Also, are you familiar with the WaA on the front sight? I assume it's another sub contractor.





    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #13
    Senior Member BadAim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Great looking gun. Beautiful wood and I actually like the amount of wear on the metal. It would appear that the Kansas City area is also full of active collectors.

  4. #14
    Moderator˛ Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    e/WaA103 is FN

    Interesting bolt body lacking a waffenamt, wonder how common that is (again, when the waffenamt is absent the location usually isn't photographed... so unclear how common this is, but it is almost certainly WMO made as FN would have been waffenamted, including the MI, which means the part was sent from FN to another factory, - MR means internally used at FN)

    The CBP lacking a ordnance code and waffenamt means the CBP was probably WMO made, but we need more data to get biblical on the certainty or pronouncement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin5000 View Post
    Good info Loewe. Here are a couple of photos of the bolt body. I don't see any markings other than these in the photos. From my understanding, FN supplied bolts should have an MI on the rear locking lug, correct?

    The buttplate has no ink stamps in it, but has the typical red paint. Also, are you familiar with the WaA on the front sight? I assume it's another sub contractor.

  5. #15
    Moderator˛ Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    Need to revise the lacking a waffenamt on the bolt body means WMO, possibly not, two other c-blocks (541 & 6878) seem to lack waffenamts but have MI lugs, yours lacks both, but I have seen weakly struck waffenamts and MI on FN bolts. The vast majority of FN botls used in byf/43 production have both the e/140 and MI, some seem to lack the MI but rarely. These two c-blocks seem to be a narrow exception, but like i said, incomplete data on this feature because so few provide this information (and my trends on WMO is not complete, more than half in the database aren't in trend sheets; there are 56 byf/43 c-blocks recorded, that is a lot for a single block, not a rare maker-date for sure...)

  6. #16
    Senior Member Zeppelin5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Need to revise the lacking a waffenamt on the bolt body means WMO, possibly not, two other c-blocks (541 & 6878) seem to lack waffenamts but have MI lugs, yours lacks both, but I have seen weakly struck waffenamts and MI on FN bolts. The vast majority of FN botls used in byf/43 production have both the e/140 and MI, some seem to lack the MI but rarely. These two c-blocks seem to be a narrow exception, but like i said, incomplete data on this feature because so few provide this information (and my trends on WMO is not complete, more than half in the database aren't in trend sheets; there are 56 byf/43 c-blocks recorded, that is a lot for a single block, not a rare maker-date for sure...)
    More great info, thanks Loewe. I'll look more closely at the lug for an MI. Do you have a photo of another byf 43 bolt with these markings by any chance for me to compare? I assume that a lightly struck stamp on a locking lug could wear over time, being this is a metal to metal contact surface.

  7. #17
    Moderator˛ Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    Here is byf/43 6878 c

    Walnut like yours, same general condition, but yours more finish. This was an auction back in March this year.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin5000 View Post
    More great info, thanks Loewe. I'll look more closely at the lug for an MI. Do you have a photo of another byf 43 bolt with these markings by any chance for me to compare? I assume that a lightly struck stamp on a locking lug could wear over time, being this is a metal to metal contact surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #18
    Moderator˛ Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    byf/43 541/c

    walnut, auction from 2016
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #19
    Senior Member Zeppelin5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Thanks again. I will take a closer look in better lighting this evening for any markings I missed!

  10. #20
    Moderator˛ Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    BiO has byf/43 174/c, also walnut, but no bolt data... he auctioned it once, might have sold it.

    1943 byf 6631/c seems to have e/140, but lug isn't shown so unsure if MI marked...
    1943 byf 11818/c seems lacking waffenamt, but lug not shown, walnut like yours also.

    These are the closest i have recorded for your rifle, of 56 reportings in the c-block, about a third with matching bolts, only a handful, maybe 8 or 10 show any real detail on these features and even these are incomplete, often not showing the lug.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •