Third Party Press

StG 44: 3xxx aj/45

Solarpower44

Hi All
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I decied to joint the forum because of my recent purchase of an StG 44 from a local dealer in Maryland.
The StG44 is a two-tone really-late last-ditch (aj/45) Haenel (fxo) made, probably in March or April of 1945.
It's all numbers matching, bolt, botl carrier, stock, receiver, lower has the serial number except the barrel which simply has fxo, a small eagle over 37 and "b.l" marks on it.
The gun was a part of a large collection that was stored in long-term storage for a long time according to the dealer.
The gun was packed with grease and looks to be in great shape.
I am waiting for the Stamp from ATF and once i have it, i plan to clean and shot it.
My plan is to wipe off all the grease and clean it with CLP or a similar modern product but i don't want to remove any finish.
Also the grip and the stock looks to be a bit dry and not sure how to properly protect it.
I would appreciate any insight from the MP44 experts in this site on how to properly clean and care for the MG.
thanks
JK

Attachments

• IMG_2462_cropped.jpg
    IMG_2462_cropped.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 405
That is a nice late war piece - no muzzle nut is always interesting - probably has a few other interesting last-ditch alterations - they simplified the receiver considerably.

Is there an MP43 ridge on the sight tower - ?

They often pulled a lot of different parts together too.

The others here will have good advice on wood preserving and removing cosmoline derivatives.

Good luck.

Thank you. I think the sight tower is late production very rough mp 44 but let me know if you noticed something else. Attached is a close up. This one is missing the butt stock storage cap. See attached picture. Looks like it was never installed in the first place.

Attachments

• 5A575FE7-0AA6-416C-8AB4-DAA4DAAD0DE5.jpg
    5A575FE7-0AA6-416C-8AB4-DAA4DAAD0DE5.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 164
Also interestingly the hand guard has 4 vent holes on the selector side and 5 holes on the other side. I thought 43s and earlier 44s have 4 holes but the later versions were 6 holes and eventually 5 holes on both sides. Please someone verify that for me

Here it is. Mertz werke receiver ‘cos’ assembled by Haenel ‘fxo’
A small eagle over 37 proof mark.
Also what looks to be a Nazi waffenamt eagle over waAA44 proof but can’t really see 44
Finally German army proof Nazi eagle

Attachments

• 5DF76E30-2FAB-40ED-BEA8-95DA922C1E39.jpg
    5DF76E30-2FAB-40ED-BEA8-95DA922C1E39.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 147
Wow. Super jealous. These have also been one of my all time favorite guns. The last ditch features just make it even more desirable. Mind sharing what it cost? Totally understand if you'd rather not. Congrats!

Wow. Super jealous. These have also been one of my all time favorite guns. The last ditch features just make it even more desirable. Mind sharing what it cost? Totally understand if you'd rather not. Congrats!

Thanks, it's been one of my all time favorite guns as well. i have been looking for a late StG 44 for a while but they don't come up to the market often so when my dealer announced that he has two coming, i went to the shop the day they picked up the guns. But to my surprise, one of them was already sold unseen, by a collector. The dealer told me it was a new/mint, probably never issued gun and sold in the 30s. My issued and used one, probably used in the defense of Berlin, was in the upper 20s.

BTW mine didn't come with Magazine, so if any of you want to sell your StG 44 marked magazine, please please let me know..

Interesting

Here it is. Mertz werke receiver ‘cos’ assembled by Haenel ‘fxo’
A small eagle over 37 proof mark.
Also what looks to be a Nazi waffenamt eagle over waAA44 proof but can’t really see 44
Finally German army proof Nazi eagle

Thanks... I have a Mauser assembled and a bnz... That one is certainly Haenel. Congrats on a super find!:thumbsup::happy0180:

Wow that’s really nice. I really like the lighter phosphate finish
It seems yours and mine are negative image of each other. I have deep blued receiver and phosphate finish on the barrel and front part

Neat rifle! Beware of shooting these older rifles. Matching rifles are hard to find. All it's going to take is something going wrong and it's going to be bad. Also, be careful of over cleaning if you choose that route. In the collection circles, cleaning rifles is not a good thing as collectors love the uncleaned grease look.

Neat rifle! Beware of shooting these older rifles. Matching rifles are hard to find. All it's going to take is something going wrong and it's going to be bad. Also, be careful of over cleaning if you choose that route. In the collection circles, cleaning rifles is not a good thing as collectors love the uncleaned grease look.

Based on what I found out so far I decided against the through cleaning. Instead I plan to just wipe off dust with a damp clothe and simply put a thin coat of furniture wax on the stock and the grip, and gun oil on the metal surfaces. I do want to fire it periodically and thinking about buying a spare bolt group, firing pin and all, stock and recoil spring for the shooting. But not sure having all these mismatched parts will be problematic and lead to a bigger problem. I appreciate it if you have any insight in this matter

good, no need to do a through cleaning, as you described cotton cloth or similar , lightly with your favorite oil ( not wd-40)
no need to clean the wood as aggressive as you stated. if it pretty much original personally I would not shoot it, I have a semi shooter for that.

this is a large investment, its a expensive club to belong to. I only use original parts with collector pieces

mags are expensive starting around $ 300 I do not need pay more that $300 and neither should you, they are around cheaper
I don't use repro mags

slings are available, once a week here

mag pouches originals start at 1K I use yugo post-war (its not a repro)mag pouches

bolts are running real high right now as are bolt carriers, be prepared to pay almost 1K for those together maybe cheaper depending on the seller. original spring and repro springs are available for a fair price

beware of parts from bulgaria, pitfigther got a bad stock pin from there. i suspected they were all knock off's.

ammo like I said wish you would not shoot it but its yours. seems to be plenty of Pri partizen around now, grafs has boxer primed brass and projectiles. my semi loves east german steel case well it spiked last year, before it was always cheap. original WW2 ammo is collector stuff now

good luck

good, no need to do a through cleaning, as you described cotton cloth or similar , lightly with your favorite oil ( not wd-40)
no need to clean the wood as aggressive as you stated. if it pretty much original personally I would not shoot it, I have a semi shooter for that.

this is a large investment, its a expensive club to belong to. I only use original parts with collector pieces

mags are expensive starting around $ 300 I do not need pay more that $300 and neither should you, they are around cheaper
I don't use repro mags

slings are available, once a week here

mag pouches originals start at 1K I use yugo post-war (its not a repro)mag pouches

bolts are running real high right now as are bolt carriers, be prepared to pay almost 1K for those together maybe cheaper depending on the seller. original spring and repro springs are available for a fair price

beware of parts from bulgaria, pitfigther got a bad stock pin from there. i suspected they were all knock off's.

ammo like I said wish you would not shoot it but its yours. seems to be plenty of Pri partizen around now, grafs has boxer primed brass and projectiles. my semi loves east german steel case well it spiked last year, before it was always cheap. original WW2 ammo is collector stuff now

good luck

I don't see any original magazines for $300, i recently contacted a seller on Sturmgewehr.com and he wanted
$850 for a MP-44, fxo magazine and i was willing to pay up to $500 but his best price was $800. GB has a 1001 for $500 and i offer him $250 and no go. I feel like everyone is seating on a pile of magazines and limiting the supply. I guess i will wait until there are more supplies and prices are reasonable. In meantime, i will use 10 round magazines i brought from D-K and they seem to be very well-made. I would love to get a semi to shoot but they are also in the $10K range. I have been try to pict up a reasonable part kit for spare parts for shooting. There was one i liked at GB and i bid to $5k but it was sold for above $6K. Crazy price all around... This makes shooting my FNC a bargain, original fnc magazines $40, parts kit around $1.5k, 20 cents/ammo. i am having a new barrel installed at $400 (just to keep the original one safe) since i shoot this often..

mags

Guy I know sold 2 for $500 each.
They will not get cheaper as the price of these guns are rising rapidly to

Last edited:
see you are charging like a bull all those sites are selling MP-44 mags for stupid prices and to stupid people willing to pay that

I see this all the time "I Got to have it" drives up the price

I post wants on different gun sites ( not here of course) looking for MP-44 mags or other items

I usually get 4-5 guys who want extreme prices, but there are always one or two who want to unload. it does not happen overnight or next days could be weeks but I ain't paying over $ 300.00 for the original mags

"I" have over 10 (meaning more than) original mags 5 where bought since last year. I never paid more that $ 250.00 each for 4 of them. the last one, I paid $ 310.00 ( shipping)

patience

kits well they are drying out, dummy kits guns are also disappearing, as I said this is a expensive club to belong too

Military Rifle Journal
Back