Third Party Press

Opinions on scope box originality

jcoe

Purchased this scope box with straps approximately 1994 from an WW2 army vet who was selling his
souvenirs from service in ET, FWIW. Would greatly appreciate opinions of the experts
Thanks, John

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 71
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 59
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 68
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 55
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 60
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 54
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 55
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 52
John, thanks for sharing your pictures. It is tough to say though from these pictures alone. There are somethings I see that I like but some important things can't be seen. Can you post a good clear picture of the latch?

thanks, sorry for delay, not familiar with the system
knob has a lean, presumably from the very strong spring
John

Attachments

• MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 51
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 72
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 56
Scope Can

There are some things that look good on this can and original cans have a couple of other characteristics. The metal spring latch on the originals I have seen all have a maker mark. See photo. Without holding it in hand that is all I can say is wrong with it.

Is that maker mark from photo on the other side?

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 71
Strap

Also, what is the length of those hooks on that strap?

Edit: I think the strap looks OK. Would be nice to know the size of the hooks to compare to mine.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen for your helpful comments. Certainly an evolving edification on these things, as more examples come to light and critical examination/comparison provides new facts. Any illuminating specific comments on my can would be greatly appreciated by private message as I would like to learn without informing thee reproductionists.
Thanks Brian, no mark on other side, and I enclose hook measurement picture.

Attachments

• MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 40
This is my take on the missing logo. The front side of the latch, as manufactured, had the logo and the backside had the tab on the right side that was folded over. When the latch was tack welded onto the can, it was put on backwards as Hercules asked. You can see the bent tab on the front side of jcoe's can which means the logo should be on the backside. My can is the same way. In my case, the paint was so thick that it completely filled in the logo. You can barely see the outline in person and even harder to photograph. With a little imagination and knowing where to look you might be able to make it out in the picture. I would bet that jcoe's can is the same way.

Attachments

• 82807 28s.jpg
    82807 28s.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 38
  • 82807 29s.jpg
    82807 29s.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 46
This is my take on the missing logo. The front side of the latch, as manufactured, had the logo and the backside had the tab on the right side that was folded over. When the latch was tack welded onto the can, it was put on backwards as Hercules asked. You can see the bent tab on the front side of jcoe's can which means the logo should be on the backside. My can is the same way. In my case, the paint was so thick that it completely filled in the logo. You can barely see the outline in person and even harder to photograph. With a little imagination and knowing where to look you might be able to make it out in the picture. I would bet that jcoe's can is the same way.

That is good information Peter. Thanks for posting yours to compare.

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful comments. Certainly an evolving edification on these things, as more examples come to light and critical examination/comparison provides new facts. Any illuminating specific comments on my can would be greatly appreciated by private message as I would like to learn without informing thee reproductionists.
Thanks Brian, no mark on other side, and I enclose hook measurement picture.

Thank you.

Very good observation Peter and you are right,mark is there, probably wouldn’t find with casual glance, and hard to photo, but distinct circle seen in appropriate location. Thanks

Attachments

• MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 46
Very good observation Peter and you are right,mark is there, probably wouldn’t find with casual glance, and hard to photo, but distinct circle seen in appropriate location. Thanks

Nice picture. Glad we figured this out.

Military Rifle Journal
Back