Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erfurt 1890.91 Kar 88

Default Erfurt 1890.91 Kar 88

Alright been on the hunt for a nice Erfurt Kar88 to go with my Erfurt collection, to tell you the truth it's almost complete. I see need a Erfurt made Gew91 though and an early made Erfurt Gew 98. Anyway this came from my buddy Paul from Florida who sold me that awesome Kar71 a few months ago. I almost passed on it but it had a very unique date which changed my mind. I have not found a Kar 88 marked 1890.91 before. Which tells me the receiver was made in 1890 but was not assembled into a complete carbine till 1891. But it gets even more interesting. When I took the carbine apart I had to use the hair dryer method to get that barrel shroud off, lots of old dried grease in there. It's a good method to use and does not damaged the item. When I got it off, the barrel did not match and it was marked GF. Which I know GF was a known supplier of barrels for Amberg. So did the original factory barrel from Erfurt fail? We know that the early made Gew 88 rifles and carbines had problems with the barrels and some did burst. But the buttplate is not marked for a depot or anything.

I'll be honest I don't think bubba replaced this barrel post war. I could tell this carbine was never taken apart when I got it and the original owner that had it. Bought this well over 50-60 years ago. So maybe others could shed some light on this. I'll be honest there is more known from Storz book on Suhl Kar 88 production then the State run factories.

Another plus it came with the magazine dust cover with the clip ejector and I found an original Kar 88 muzzle cover for it! That little guy came out of Poland and was found on Ebay by my good buddy Mike. Has some old paint on it and still has the leather strap. But it's very dry and I didn't even try to open it afraid I might break it. The muzzle cover is also unit marked as well.

Lots of pictures will be posted with this cool carbine as well as some neat period pictures I have purchase. Enjoy guys!

Maker: Erfurt 1890.91
    Receiver: 2808a
    Barrel: 571
    Barrel shroud: 2808a
    Bolt head: 08
    Bolt body: 2808a
    Bolt safety: 08
    Bolt firing pin: 08
    Bolt cocking piece:08
    Bolt end cap: 08
    Bolt Extractor: 08
    Rear barrel band: 08 15.H.4.56
    Front barrel band: 08
    Trigger guard: 2808
    Front trigger guard screw: 08
    Rear trigger guard screw: 08
    Magazine follower: 08
    Magazine floorplate cover: 08
    Clip Release: 08
    Front sight: 08
    Rear sight: 08
    Rear sight slider: 08
    Rear sight Ladder: 08
    Rear sight 300 meter adjustment slide: 08
    Trigger sear: 08
    Buttplate: 08
    Stock: 2808
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Bolt group, Rear sight base, and Front sight:

Stock, barrel shroud, and barrel bands

Last pictures and the muzzle cover:

Now how can you show off a cool Kar88 carbine without some cool period pictures.

1. Hussars armed with kar88 carbines goes well with my Hussar unit marked Kar88 carbine!

2. German soldier with winter coat armed with Kar 88 carbine.

3. Transport unit armed with Kar88 carbines.

What a great piece! That barrel wouldn’t worry me a bit. The muzzle cover is amazing, I’d never seen one before, now I know what to look for!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Another nice carbine Jordan! You're really on these now. Love the photos too.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I agree the covers are hens teeth, next to impossible to find.. only seen one, the one time I went to Louisville, in 2006-2007, Mauserbill had a buddy that was giddy over finding one, rightfully so as these are that rare.

Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    What a great piece! That barrel wouldn’t worry me a bit. The muzzle cover is amazing, I’d never seen one before, now I know what to look for!

Muzzle cover is super cool, there was just one on eBay but in rough shape, nice find!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Muzzle cover is super cool, there was just one on eBay but in rough shape, nice find!
    Do you recall what they were asking? Just wondering as I've never seen one in the wild.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"