Third Party Press

Hungarian 43M

bigwagon

On Saturday I wandered into one of my local gun shops that recently acquired a pretty large and diverse older Milsurp collection from a widow and walked out with pretty cool and apparently somewhat rare Hungarian 43M. It's not an exaggeration to say that a month ago I didn't even know these rifles existed, but now thanks to a post on this forum and some dumb luck, I own one. It's all numbers matching and in quite remarkable condition, with a mint bore and beautiful blued finish and nearly new looking stock. Kind of an odd looking gun but an interesting design and seems quite well made. Looking forward to putting some rounds down range with it this week.

I don’t follow 43m’s necessarily, but this is the nicest one I remember seeing congrats! :thumbsup:

Thanks, just more blind luck, but I think this one would be very hard to improve upon. I've been Googling for info about these all weekend, and one thing I haven't turned up is anything about what type of sling would have been used on these. Any ideas?

First of all nice score, the 43m shows up enough that they’re not exactly rare (uncommon for sure) but those with all matching numbers are something else entirely! As to sling i personally have never seen any Hungarian ww2 rifles with their original slings still mounted but I would suspect that they were similar to the slings used by the Austro Hungarian empire in the Great War.

Damn, that is a beauty! Would love to have one to go with my 35M....

It would look cool next to a 98/40 too! Hungarians made some really nice, well made stuff, love the Femaru's too.

Very hard to find Hungarian militaria...

ETA I believe these take a standard German sight hood, so adding one should be easy...not like finding one for the 35M!

Last edited:
ETA I believe these take a standard German sight hood, so adding one should be easy...not like finding one for the 35M!

Unfortunately, they all use the Hungarian sight hoods which are impossible to find. Repros are around which are ok, but not perfect.

Unfortunately, they all use the Hungarian sight hoods which are impossible to find. Repros are around which are ok, but not perfect.

Hmm, from these pics, it looked like a regular German one...

Never had a 43M in hand...

Attachments

• Mann43fs.jpg
    Mann43fs.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Mann43fs1.jpg
    Mann43fs1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hmm, from these pics, it looked like a regular German one...

Never had a 43M in hand...

Sight base was modified to accept a k98k hood. All the hungarian rifles have a different style hood that is way more rounded. I only learned this after trying to put a k98k hood on a 43m I had haha.

John.

I wouldn't say impossible Ryan you just never know you may find one in some guy's parts bin for $5! I know a guy that bought a Pedersen device magazine that was in your choice magazine lot for $10 many years ago. Anytime I go to the shows I always look in the cases you just never know what might be in a corner.

Grey Blanket has one of these up for sale right now, with mis-matched numbers and a pitted bore. It will be interesting to see what he gets for it. Wonder if he takes consignments? :laugh:

BTW, I took this one to the range last week with some 90s-era Yugo surplus. Wasn't exactly a tack driver, but was pleasant to shoot, and very smooth functioning.

Military Rifle Journal
Back