Third Party Press

Best place to look for K98?

Or dying...lots of milsurps tied up in old collections, and none of us live forever...

Hopefully you fuckers won't be laying hands on mine for another 30 years....:laugh:

Yeah 30 would be a nice rip. I'd make it to my old man's age. RIP Dad! Korean War hooah

There have always been older collectors dying, divorcing, etc. The market, and thus prices and value, tanks when supply outstrips demand. Supply for nice matching rifles has been static since 1946. Demand is healthy. Does anyone see K98k collecting shrinking? To me it looks to the contrary. If 5 big collectors got smoked at the same time there may be a bit of a market over-supply, but if I wasn’t one that got dusted I’d be buying my a$$ off.

Difference is those that will be selling / dying are Boomers and there are a lot more of them than us Gen X and they were able to buy them cheap and stack them deep. However the best of the best always maintain value. I like to use Honus Wagner T-206 as an example vs most other sportscards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check your LGS regularly. I’ve found 3 K98k rifles this year that were all matching and bargain priced! Try to look for stores that don’t have an internet presence. Families bring them in when Grandpa passes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difference is those that will be selling / dying are Boomers and there are a lot more of them than us Gen X and they were able to buy them cheap and stack them deep. However the best of the best always maintain value. I like to use Honus Wagner T-206 as an example vs most other sportscards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matching, unmessed with, honest 85% or better, will sell, retain value and increase in value. If anything, anti-gun legislation will help them. I bought two 7.62x39 bolt guns (Ruger American and Cz.527M carbine) just to go with my ammo in the even of AK problems in the coming years. If they ban WW2 bolt actions we've got greater problems than worrying about our collections.

What tanks a hobby is fraud, shitehead hobby stewards, invariably moderating forums which censor and prey upon new guys more than helping them. I think the "Great Champagne Rune Hoax" pretty much sums it all up. That fraud went on about 30 years longer than it should have, and should have been halted 20 years ago with the advent of internet forums, microscopes, and digital photography. Those $5k-$20k airbrushed humpjobs would still be trafficked with COAs but for DougB blowing the lid off the hoax, and being much assailed by "hobby bigwigs" for so doing. But I digress. We don't have that problem, and should not with the young guys here (20-40 somethings) who will be taking over our collections, forums, and stewarding when we reach room temp. I see nothing but good for the future. And well, it's cool and fun too!

OP and all the other new guys asking for rifles..... there is a really nice byf44 in the trader right now. Here is your opportunity you have been asking for. A little over priced in my opinion but a nice rifle.

OP and all the other new guys asking for rifles..... there is a really nice byf44 in the trader right now. Here is your opportunity you have been asking for. A little over priced in my opinion but a nice rifle.
Someone jumped on it. Nice rifle, but I agree on price. This insanity is not sustainable, because newer younger collectors are being priced out. Civil War collectors can attest to that. I'm just happy Mosins are dropping in price so the majority stick to them and ignore the Mausers I collect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back