Third Party Press

S147k on auction

First K date that wasn’t a Russian capture or otherwise mismatch that I have seen sold since starting to collect.

There have been at least two more sold this year one for 25k the other for 1700 apparently

That's insanity. Every Mauser in that auction looked like a rusted piece of shite. I would be worried it was stored in a damp basement like the rest and was rusted inside as well as outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that S147k looks pretty rough indeed for that amount. Receiver, and bands look pitted and rusted. And I thought the ones that went for $5000 were high!

Bolt handle is a hump job. Who is buying these? :googlie

GS
Please excuse my ignorance but for someone trying to learn.... what makes the bolt in the auction rifle bad?
To me the bolt in the attached pic looks bad or are you talking about the shape of the handle

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).jpg
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
... what makes the bolt in the auction rifle bad?

I don't think it is. For $9840 I'd hope not.

To me the bolt in the attached pic looks bad

Not sure where that picture came from but it's terrible bad. First the metal finish (base backround under the serial) is blasted, something NO K98 manufacturer did. The lazy f*ck didn't even disassemble or mask because you can see stray blast pocks under and to the right of the root. Second you can see the ghost of a previous character not 100% removed. Third the font is awful... and the wrong size. :facepalm:

bad bolt.jpg

Not sure where that picture came from but it's terrible bad. First the metal finish (base backround under the serial) is blasted, something NO K98 manufacturer did. The lazy f*ck didn't even disassemble or mask because you can see stray blast pocks under and to the right of the root. Second you can see the ghost of a previous character not 100% removed. Third the font is awful... and the wrong size. :facepalm:

View attachment 221603[/QUOTE]
That pic came from a local gun shop on a 1940 42 . Im no expert but i laughed when he told me its all original. And with a price tag of $3250au .

Yeah. The original bolt is shown in the beginning and it's fine. I was commenting on that (bad) bolt.

Bad bolt just appeared out of thin air lol.

I certianly hope whoever bought that rifle for that price saw it in person. Did you see how bad some of those rifles looked? That had to have come out of the same collection aka same water logged basement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
..That had to have come out of the same collection aka same water logged basement.

Same thoughts here. I suspect most of that rust could be abated. We've seen excellent evidence of judicious but effective cleaning of rust, even worse than this. But that price yo.

Looks like mostly air rust that hasn't gotten too far. Bronze wool and some ballistol may do wonders. Also, it looks like I see some mold / mildew on the stock.

..Bronze wool and some ballistol may do wonders.

Ballistol and bare hands my man! :laugh: Did you not know it's also an aphrodisiac? Seriously the wife laughs her arse off every time she walks in and sees me 'fondling' one of my rifles as she calls it.

I think this rifle (along with many of the other auction offerings) would clean up surprisingly well but for 9k? Geez, Louise...

Military Rifle Journal
Back