Third Party Press

GEW 98 sniper needs its optic

lilallie

hi all
I'm Postin a few pics of GEW 98 sniper that needs its matching optics at the request of some forum members.
The rifle is waiting to come be part of my collection, right now lives with a friend.
Thanks for lookin

steveo

Attachments

• IMG_0020 (2).jpg
    IMG_0020 (2).jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0003 (2).jpg
    IMG_0003 (2).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0006 (2).jpg
    IMG_0006 (2).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0007 (2).jpg
    IMG_0007 (2).jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0009 (2).jpg
    IMG_0009 (2).jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0010 (2).jpg
    IMG_0010 (2).jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0011 (2).jpg
    IMG_0011 (2).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0013 (2).jpg
    IMG_0013 (2).jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0014 (2).jpg
    IMG_0014 (2).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0015 (2).jpg
    IMG_0015 (2).jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0016 (2).jpg
    IMG_0016 (2).jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0017 (2).jpg
    IMG_0017 (2).jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0022 (2).jpg
    IMG_0022 (2).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 18
From the first set of photos I couldn’t be sure if it was a DWM or Mauser Oberdorf made rifle. It’s definitely a DWM produced gun. That being said, you mentioned that you don’t have it yet. If you haven’t bought it, I would advise not buying it or getting your money back. Just going from what is known, there were four manufacturers that made rifles that were used for snipers: Spandau, Amberg, Danzig, and WMO.
The bases look good, Wolfgang will know for sure. I’m almost positive someone found a set of bases and tried to build a sniper rifle.

Wolfgang is the resident expert on WWI Era snipers and knows far more than I do. Who knows maybe DWM did make some sort of effort, I wouldn’t place a lot of stake in that. But Wolfgang will know just by looking at it, whether it was German done by one of the optics manufacturers or by someone in the states.

From the first set of photos I couldn’t be sure if it was a DWM or Mauser Oberdorf made rifle. It’s definitely a DWM produced gun. That being said, you mentioned that you don’t have it yet. If you haven’t bought it, I would advise not buying it or getting your money back. Just going from what is known, there were four manufacturers that made rifles that were used for snipers: Spandau, Amberg, Danzig, and WMO.
The bases look good, Wolfgang will know for sure. I’m almost positive someone found a set of bases and tried to build a sniper rifle.

Wolfgang is the resident expert on WWI Era snipers and knows far more than I do. Who knows maybe DWM did make some sort of effort, I wouldn’t place a lot of stake in that. But Wolfgang will know just by looking at it, whether it was German done by one of the optics manufacturers or by someone in the states.

Thanks for the great info.
Pm sent with question.

Last edited:
I had already thought the same in the original thread, but I didn't want to say too much without additional pictures. The bases are without a doubt original, but the screw heads simply look off and don't really match the rifle condition. If you have not already bought it, I'd recommend you to stay away from it.

I had already thought the same in the original thread, but I didn't want to say too much without additional pictures. The bases are without a doubt original, but the screw heads simply look off and don't really match the rifle condition. If you have not already bought it, I'd recommend you to stay away from it.

Thank you. Have not purchased

The rifle is a DWM/1916, the optics I will leave to Amberg and his colleagues more familiar with sniper rifles, but I agree with Sam, the general rule is arsenals provided the rifles for sniper rifles and in at least one situation Mauser did also... so caution is good advice with this rifle.

If you can get pictures of the bolt body acceptance i can confirm whether the bolt is good or not; same deal with the stock. Even if the bases and mounts are good, the stock and bolt are important elements in a rifles value. Especially a sniper rifle I assume (though lacking a bolt cutout also seems to weigh against this being a authentic sniper rifle)

The rifle is a DWM/1916, the optics I will leave to Amberg and his colleagues more familiar with sniper rifles, but I agree with Sam, the general rule is arsenals provided the rifles for sniper rifles and in at least one situation Mauser did also... so caution is good advice with this rifle.

If you can get pictures of the bolt body acceptance i can confirm whether the bolt is good or not; same deal with the stock. Even if the bases and mounts are good, the stock and bolt are important elements in a rifles value. Especially a sniper rifle I assume (though lacking a bolt cutout also seems to weigh against this being a authentic sniper rifle)

Hi Loewe I’ll try to get those pics.
Thanks for the information.
I may have this all screwed up and incorrect cause I’m goin off memory but I was under the impression that not all had the cut out. But I agree that it’s understood that most do.

Hello,
I only can agree with Mauser1908 and Absolut.
DWM is not known to have provided any rifles for sniper conversions
Bases seem original, screws don't
Stock should have a bolt cutout

Somewhere I have a set of "G.R." marked bases. IIRR they came with a Gerard B3x scope.
Any markings on the bottom of the bases?
If you have the chance, please take some more shots of the bolt.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Hi Loewe I’ll try to get those pics.
Thanks for the information.
I may have this all screwed up and incorrect cause I’m goin off memory but I was under the impression that not all had the cut out. But I agree that it’s understood that most do.

The only maker known to not use a bolt cut out was WMO, Paul alluded to the fact that they were a special case. They made less than 10k all known in the ‘n’ block in 1917. The lack of cut out is seen on surviving rifles and period photos.

Like Paul said, these were a special case, not typical, a limited production run, and for a specific role.

Hello,
I only can agree with Mauser1908 and Absolut.
DWM is not known to have provided any rifles for sniper conversions
Bases seem original, screws don't
Stock should have a bolt cutout

Somewhere I have a set of "G.R." marked bases. IIRR they came with a Gerard B3x scope.
Any markings on the bottom of the bases?
If you have the chance, please take some more shots of the bolt.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Thank you all for the great instruction.
These forums are the best. Can’t rely on just Senich book or some other sights.
Keeps a guy like me that’s still in the learning curve with these scopes rifles
From Makin an error. Great education.
God bless all of ya.

The Senich book is not all bad. You have to keep in mind, when it was printed. At that time, the author did not have access to Forums like this one, no eMail, no nothing ... but some "collectors" in the US.
Today we know more details, have easier access to information and can talk/write to each other within seconds.
In the book you can find some obvious fakes, some questionable stuff, but also some very nice examples of original sniper stuff.

I'm neither omniscient, nor unfailing, but I'll answer any question about WWI snipers to the best of my knowledge.
My collection comprises about 40 different German WWI scopes. But that is only about half of the known variations.

Thanks
Wolfgang

The only maker known to not use a bolt cut out was WMO, Paul alluded to the fact that they were a special case. They made less than 10k all known in the ‘n’ block in 1917.

Early Bavarian (Amberg) sniper rifles do not have the cutout either. Therefor they had the bolt flattened.

Military Rifle Journal
Back