Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/42K Restoration

Default S/42K Restoration

I’ve finally been able to restore my S/42K with the help of Tommy who finally found me the correct P74 stock. It’s all matching numbers except for the bolt release (which is correctly P74 marked) and the trigger guard screws and obviously the stock which is all matching to itself (metal and wood). The stock is got some good honest wear on it but cleaned up pretty good after a long fight with whatever varnish they put on is (have to try Aircraft Peeler next time).

Pretty happy to finally get this one all back together. Just have to get a sight hood put on.

Sorry the pics aren't better... have to work on that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job looks sharp.
    Sight hood?
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for years.

Bugger,i sold my all matching but bolt S/42K
    k 060.jpgk 019.jpg

Good point on the sight hood. Technically it shouldn't have the grooves for a hood being such an early rifle. I have no idea why it has them. The front sight is matching numbers and the front is P74 marked and there are no signs of it every being tinkered with or re-soldered on. Not sure when the grooves for the hood were put on. It isn't an import so that one has me scratching my head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

A visit to a depot? For a rifle that was in service so long you'd think it found it's way there.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    A visit to a depot? For a rifle that was in service so long you'd think it found it's way there.
    It looks like it has the original barrel, front and rear sights, and bolt, so are there any other repairs that would have necessitated a trip to a depot for a repair that couldn't be done at a field workshop? Were sight hood cuts allowed to be applied at field workshops? I suppose if parts required for replacement or repair were unavailable at the field workshop, it could have been sent to a depot

The only non-matching part is the bolt release. So maybe it went to depot for that and they added the slots for the sight hood at the same time?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Yeah I noticed the original barrel. The lumber would tell a tale if one existed but it's not here.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Milling slots for a hood would be done with the base off the rifle, one would think. Rather involved, if a problematic ejector box was the only problem with the rifle.
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for years.

Great resto! I can appreciate the patience required. I did both a S/42K and S/147K restoration from a stripped barrelled receiver in both cases. Tommy was instrumental in both cases as was a kind Gunboards member with a p74 bolt.

These tend to cost more than they are worth but the joy is in the hunt!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk